Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> on 2005/08/31 05:03:42 UTC

[shale] status

What's going on with Shale?

I tried "ant dist" and I got a bunch of compile errors.  This is on a
clean slate.

Is anyone else seeing this?

--
James Mitchell
Consulting / Mentoring / Freelance

Re: [shale] status

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Craig McClanahan wrote:
> Thanks for the pointer ... I wasn't aware of that. That being said, it's not
> clear that a lot of effort should be devoted to the Shale Ant scripts, since
> Wendy has volunteered to Mavenize them (as long as she can deal with the
> either-JSF-RI-or-MyFaces requirements -- boy can she be a glutton for
> punishment sometimes :-).

Yep, I knew that, both that she was Mavenizing it *and* that she can be
a glutton for punishment :)

I was hoping you'd continue the Ant scripts... as I said to Wendy a few
days ago, it seems like many people are switching to Maven, and I liked
being able to point to you and say "hey, Craig isn't using it, I can't
be completely wrong in sticking with Ant!" :)

At the end of the day though, it's just like Struts... Whatever my
feelings about Maven, if the build works and I don't have to maintain
the script, not really a big deal either way.

> Even if that weren't the case, though, I'm not positive that, in an Ant-only
> world, defining external dependencies separately (rather than explicitly in
> <get> targets as Shale does now) is necessarily a better thing -- but that
> might also be my long time antipathy to Maven showing through :-).

I know the feeling, I haven't been overly excited about Maven
personally.  This particular feature though is one that I didn't have an
immediate aversion to, and I was happy to find this analogy for Ant...
especially for JWP as an example, it cut out over 1MB of download size
from the source distro; I definitely appreciate that.

> Craig

Frank

Re: [shale] status

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.