Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org> on 2013/07/26 14:32:04 UTC

BuiltIn appliance for use in integration tests

Almost all the integration tests use the built-in CentOS template in
the deployment for their test scenarios. Sometimes this is less
desirable since the tests can verify functionality within cloudstack
that requires certain services to be up within the guest. For instance
the VPC tests ensure loadbalancing over the web port works correctly,
for which it requires the httpd service to be running.

Since we may have specific needs in tests for future, I've added an
appliance definition built on top of a CentOS6.4-minimal +xs-tools in
the tools/appliance/builtin directory. This change is pushed to master
(26a0fd5). The automated test deployments will replace the regular
built-in with this template to help verify such tests as described
above.

I've put in a job on jenkins as well for this -
http://jenkins.buildacloud.org/view/master/job/build-test-centos-builtin/

I'm still testing the template at the moment but wanted to bring this
up in case anyone sees problems with this approach?

--
Prasanna.,

------------------------
Powered by BigRock.com

Re: BuiltIn appliance for use in integration tests

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 09:24:18AM -0400, Chip Childers wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 06:02:04PM +0530, Prasanna Santhanam wrote:
> > Almost all the integration tests use the built-in CentOS template in
> > the deployment for their test scenarios. Sometimes this is less
> > desirable since the tests can verify functionality within cloudstack
> > that requires certain services to be up within the guest. For instance
> > the VPC tests ensure loadbalancing over the web port works correctly,
> > for which it requires the httpd service to be running.
> >
> > Since we may have specific needs in tests for future, I've added an
> > appliance definition built on top of a CentOS6.4-minimal +xs-tools in
> > the tools/appliance/builtin directory. This change is pushed to master
> > (26a0fd5). The automated test deployments will replace the regular
> > built-in with this template to help verify such tests as described
> > above.
> >
> > I've put in a job on jenkins as well for this -
> > http://jenkins.buildacloud.org/view/master/job/build-test-centos-builtin/
> >
> > I'm still testing the template at the moment but wanted to bring this
> > up in case anyone sees problems with this approach?
>
> Great approach, and seems easy to add a new service when / if required
> for a new test scenario.

This is ready to use.

These are built on a weekly basis right now. It is a CentOS 6.4
minimal image but boots successfully after registering as CentOS 5.3
(64-bit) (builtin) within cloudstack. I added the KVM image, started a
VM from it and it successfully gets hostname, ip from virtual router.

The httpd service starts on bootup and a test page is placed as
test.html which says "Hello, World".  Port 80 is open for connections.
--
Prasanna.,

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.