Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mike W-M <mi...@ward-murphy.co.uk> on 2002/12/12 14:24:27 UTC

Tomcat uptime and stability in production environments

I remember someone telling me once, "No wonder we're having problems - that
NT box hasn't been rebooted for a week."

I haven't seen any mention of it here, but wondered if anyone has any
similar(ly pithy) advice to offer on matters of Tomcat / Java stability and
uptime.
Is one sensible to plan to restart a production Tomcat every night, or
foolish if you plan to do it every month?
Do JVMs eat more and more memory unless they're restarted?

I'm planning to deploy on Linux, but it'd be interesting to see how opinion
varies by platform.

Ta.
Mike.

Re: Tomcat uptime and stability in production environments

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
We try to restart our tomcats at least once every other week. This is
because we are JSP heavy and we have "many" page changes per day. We
have found we can get through 2 weeks without running OutofMemory from
the JSP recompile memory leak. (YMMV)

If it weren't for the JVM javac memory leak - we could probably stay up
much longer.

We have other other internal instances which go months between restarts.

-Tim

Posted by Torsten Fohrer <TF...@t-online.de>.
I maintain and using three standalone tomcat servers. One of the three has a
request count  of 40000-70000 per day, and traffic 1-5.5 gb traffic per
month.

cu Torsten Fohrer

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Mike W-M wrote:

> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 13:24:27 -0000
> From: Mike W-M <mi...@ward-murphy.co.uk>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Tomcat uptime and stability in production environments
>
> I remember someone telling me once, "No wonder we're having problems - that
> NT box hasn't been rebooted for a week."
>
> I haven't seen any mention of it here, but wondered if anyone has any
> similar(ly pithy) advice to offer on matters of Tomcat / Java stability and
> uptime.
> Is one sensible to plan to restart a production Tomcat every night, or
> foolish if you plan to do it every month?
> Do JVMs eat more and more memory unless they're restarted?
>
> I'm planning to deploy on Linux, but it'd be interesting to see how opinion
> varies by platform.

Although I regularly reloaded my Tomcat-based app (mostly to add new
features), I had the luxury of managing one Linux-based server that stayed
up for over 400 days (i.e. well over a year) without a reboot -- and we
only had to then because the machine was being moved to a new power plug
at the ISP's co-lo site :-).

More seriously, the precise behavior is pretty dependent on exactly which
versions of JDK and Tomcat you're using, as well as any possible memory
leaks in your app, or the libraries it uses (JDBC drivers can be
notorious).  I'd probably start with a weekly cycle on a heavily used app,
but monitor things to see if more often or less often would be
appropriate.

> Ta.
> Mike.

Craig

Re: Tomcat uptime and stability in production environments

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
I am still on 4.0.X. For production purposes (main site) - we have 4
tomcats clustered behind 2 apaches behind 1 loadbalancer. (Personally -
the 4 tomcats are overkill - 2 would be plenty)

Each tomcat receives over 40,000 requests per day. We have had no
problems with load.

Personally - 4.1 is not ready for production but very close. (Others
will disagree) But, I am interested in 4.1.17. It seems that 4.1.X is
getting really close for production use. Once some of my projects die
down, I hope to migrate my sites to our test environment with 4.1 and
beat the crap out of it and see how it reacts.

-Tim

Mike W-M wrote:
> It's all making interesting reading.
> I'm slightly surprised to see so many people on 4.1.x.  When I stuck my head
> down a month or so ago to do some work, 4.0.4 was the production release.
> (A longstanding one, I believe.)
> Suddenly 4.1.x is the production version and everyone seems to be using
> that.  And there seem to be more than a few complaints about it.....
>
> I'm expecting to deploy to 4.0.x  (where x = 5, I guess)...
>
> Mike.

For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>