Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2014/04/22 18:03:35 UTC

[VOTE] Release UIMA Java SDK 2.6.0 rc1

Hi,

I've posted the UIMAJ SDK 2.6.0 rc1 release candidate.

This version has lots of changes mainly related to enabling exploitation of multi-core processors, and requires Java 6 (hence the bump from 2.5.0 to 2.6.0).

Changes:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-3764?jql=project%20%3D%20UIMA%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%202.6.0SDK%20ORDER%20BY%20updated%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC%2C%20created%20ASC

The source and binary zip/tars and the Eclipse update site are staged to
http://people.apache.org/~schor/uima-release-candidates/uimaj-2.6.0-rc1/

The Maven artifacts are here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-1017/

The SVN tags are here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/uimaj/tags/uimaj-2.6.0/

and for the Eclipse Update Site:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/uimaj/tags/uimaj-eclipse-update-site-2.6.0/

See http://uima.apache.org/testing-builds.html for suggestions on how to test
release candidates.

Please vote on release:

[ ] +1 OK to release
[ ] 0   Don't care
[ ] -1 Not OK to release, because ...

Thanks.

-Marshall

Re: [VOTE] [CANCELLED] Release UIMA Java SDK 2.6.0 rc1

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Due to the bug Richard found, this vote is cancelled.

I'll roll back the version and prepare the next release.

Thanks for testing!  -Marshall

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA Java SDK 2.6.0 rc1

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <ui...@gmail.com>.
All testing done on linux:

1) spot checked signatures - OK
2) built from svn tag  - OK
3) checked source LICENSE/NOTICE - OK
4) checked binary LICENSE/NOTICE - OK
5) Checked jira-report - OK
6) Launched RoomNumberAnnotator UIMA-AS service with the latest jars - OK
7) Ran UIMA-AS RunRemoteAsyncAE client to completion -OK
8) Ran documentAnalyzer - OK

[X] +1 OK to release

Jerry

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
On 24.04.2014, at 10:56, Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org> wrote:

> upgraded uimaFIT to new SDK and tested build: FAIL
> - Most of the unit tests on combining CPEs with external resources fail
>
> [X] -1 Not OK to release, because of test case failures in uimaFIT
>
> I will investigate the reason for these failures and report back as soon as possible.

Apparently some AE descriptors are serialized incompletely to XML when UIMA 2.6.0 RC 1
is used.

Investigating further...

-- Richard

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA Java SDK 2.6.0 rc1

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
On 4/24/2014 8:13 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
> That's a question for Marshall :-)
>
> I think the update site is not part of the normal build, but
> successfully building the update site is probably a requirement of an
> RC. So, it's not covered by mvn install on trunk.
+1.  I think it's a matter of recording the configuration info used to produce
the update site.  It's not really needed for review I guess.
> I haven't added a link
> to the ruta update site source, but maybe should have.
+0

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
That's a question for Marshall :-)

I think the update site is not part of the normal build, but
successfully building the update site is probably a requirement of an
RC. So, it's not covered by mvn install on trunk. I haven't added a link

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
> build from source zip on Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_51-b13) - OK
>
> JAR in binary zip: OK
> - Licenses in place, look ok
>
> Signature of some files checked: OK
>
> Javadoc: OK
>
> build from source zip on Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0-b132) - non-critical
> - javadoc stuff
>
> jira report - non-critical
> - says "${project.verson}"
That seems to be some issue with the maven changes plugin.

> binary zip: non-critital
> - NOTICE file says "Copyright 2006 The Apache Software Foundation". Shouldn't new releases have at least an up-to-date year there? I remember getting a mail early this year from Apache reminding about updating the year in copyright notices. The NOTICE files in the JARs say "Copyright 2006-2014 The Apache Software Foundation".

The copyright dates: there are 1 or 2.  If there is 1, it is supposed to be the
earliest date.  There was some discussion in the mailing list about just using 1
date.  I chose that approach to avoid having the 2nd date be wrong.

> upgraded uimaFIT to new SDK and tested build: FAIL
> - Most of the unit tests on combining CPEs with external resources fail
>
> [X] -1 Not OK to release, because of test case failures in uimaFIT
>
> I will investigate the reason for these failures and report back as soon as possible.
Great!  good catch...
> -- Richard
>
> P.S.: The Eclipse update site in the mail pointed to the SVN, not to an actual update site. Maybe intentional, but I do not understand why.
Sorry, should be more clear - that's just a record of the state of the
update-site-project as of the time it was run for packaging the update site.
The real update site is in the same people.a.o/~schor ... spot.

> P.P.S.: Do we need to sign out votes now? ... GPG says the signature on your vote is invalid
We don't need to sign.  However, I was experimenting.  I think what happened
(and it's happened before), is I sent this from my apache.org address, and that
address isn't set up to be allowed to the uima dev list (!), so it went into the
moderation queue.  I suspect that when it got moderated through, some header or
?? was updated, and this invalidated the signature.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <sc...@apache.org>.