Posted to xmlbeans-user@xml.apache.org by my...@baunsgaard.dk on 2004/04/22 00:02:01 UTC

Can XMLBeans handle abstract ComplexTypes?

Hello all,

I've created an XML schema that has a hierarchy of complex types where the base type is abstract.
However, XMLBeans does not enforce that restriction - or have I misunderstood something?

A scaled-down sample:
<xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" elementFormDefault="qualified"
attributeFormDefault="unqualified">
	<xs:element name="Test" type="Base">
	</xs:element>
	<xs:complexType name="Base" abstract="true">
		<xs:attribute name="Attribute" type="xs:string" use="required"/>
	</xs:complexType>
	<xs:complexType name="Derived1">
		<xs:complexContent>
			<xs:extension base="Base"/>
		</xs:complexContent>
	</xs:complexType>
	<xs:complexType name="Derived2">
		<xs:complexContent>
			<xs:extension base="Base"/>
		</xs:complexContent>
	</xs:complexType>
</xs:schema>

The schema (and java classes) should support either a Derived1 or Derived2 to be "added" to Test
and not a Base but the java classes supports adding Bases without problems. The resulting XML does
not validate.

Can anyone help me out on this one :)

BTW, I used the latest version 1 sources from CVS...

Thanks,
Hakon