Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Derek Hohls <dh...@csir.co.za> on 2005/11/23 15:29:58 UTC

Distributing "stand alone" Cocoon apps

I am looking for some general tips on the *option* of
distributing an app, originally built for the web, but not
hosted [ because of a lack of affordable web-hosting sites
for Cocoon :-(  ] that I now wonder might be "do able"
as a standalone package...  it uses cForms, XSL and SVG
and I am unsure if one can, in fact build it as a *reasonable*
sized (under 5mb?) single application that can be launched
from the  desktop with no installation requirements...

Any ideas, pointers or discussion would be appreciated (bear
in mind my ignorance of "builds" in general....)

Thanks!
Derek

views of the CSIR.

CSIR E-mail Legal Notice

CSIR Copyright, Terms and Conditions

HelpDesk@csir.co.za.

Re: Distributing "stand alone" Cocoon apps

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 23 nov. 05, à 15:29, Derek Hohls a écrit :

> ...I am unsure if one can, in fact build it as a *reasonable*
> sized (under 5mb?)...

The closest "standard" thing that we have is probably the
"standalone-demo" build, with all blocks disabled except what you
actually need.

It's more than 5MB (around 18MB IIRC), but I think several jars are
included but not used, so you should be able to trim it down (or try
with 2.2 which should be able to build a smaller core). Or use
something like http://proguard.sourceforge.net/, which has been
discussed here (or on dev@, don't remember) already.

If you can reach the desired size, next step would be to create a
bootstrap Java class to start the Cocoon servlet, for that I'd look at
the embedded mode of Jetty, where you can start it from a java class
with no external configuration.

Of course, this will still require the correct JVM to be installed on
the client, or the use of java web start to select the correct one.

-Bertrand