Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Matthew Newton <mc...@leicester.ac.uk> on 2006/08/16 12:05:21 UTC

Yahoo "Received" header problem?

Hi,

I just received an e-mail that had been incorrectly marked as
hitting a block list (the SBL in this case, IIRC). The "culprit"
for this seems to be the following first Received header, where
a.b.c.d is the address on the BL:

 HTTP; Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:34:33 BST

This seems wrong to me? However, my guess is that there is nothing
wrong with SpamAssassin, just that Yahoo shouldn't be adding a
Received header for a non-SMTP transaction (of course an
sender wasn't abusing anything by sending a direct SMTP message
rather than using their ISP; they were just using their webmail.

Comments?

Thanks,

Matthew

--
Matthew Newton <mc...@le.ac.uk>

UNIX and e-mail Systems Administrator, Network Support Section,
Computer Centre, University of Leicester,
Leicester LE1 7RH, United Kingdom

Re: Yahoo "Received" header problem?

Posted by Logan Shaw <ls...@emitinc.com>.
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Matthew Newton wrote:
> I just received an e-mail that had been incorrectly marked as
> hitting a block list (the SBL in this case, IIRC). The "culprit"
> for this seems to be the following first Received header, where
> a.b.c.d is the address on the BL:

> HTTP; Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:34:33 BST
>
> This seems wrong to me? However, my guess is that there is nothing
> wrong with SpamAssassin, just that Yahoo shouldn't be adding a
> Received header for a non-SMTP transaction (of course an
> sender wasn't abusing anything by sending a direct SMTP message
> rather than using their ISP; they were just using their webmail.

At one time Yahoo offered a paid account where you could get
POP3 access to your @yahoo.co mailbox.  If they still offer
this, they could be allowing authenticated SMTP (or POP before
SMTP) from paying customers.  I obviously don't really know
whether they are doing that, but it seems like one possible
explanation.

   - Logan

Re: Yahoo "Received" header problem?

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
SM wrote:
> At 03:05 16-08-2006, Matthew Newton wrote:
>> I just received an e-mail that had been incorrectly marked as
>> hitting a block list (the SBL in this case, IIRC). The "culprit"
>> for this seems to be the following first Received header, where
>> a.b.c.d is the address on the BL:

>>  HTTP; Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:34:33 BST
>>
>> This seems wrong to me? However, my guess is that there is nothing
>> wrong with SpamAssassin, just that Yahoo shouldn't be adding a
>> Received header for a non-SMTP transaction (of course an
>
> Section 3.8.2 (Received Lines in Gatewaying) mentions adding a Received
> header as trace fields for messages originating from non-SMTP
> environments.  The above Yahoo.com Received line is correct.
>
> Regards,
> -sm

Yes, the received headers for webmail are much preferred over any other
X-whatever headers.

I can't remember, or have time to look, what IPs in the received line
are checked for SBL.  We might check all of them for SBL.  Usually I
wouldn't want to receive any mail from someone in SBL.  Of course
dynablocks being listed in SBL throws that out the window.

Daryl

Re: Yahoo "Received" header problem?

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.