Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Mike Drob <md...@apache.org> on 2018/07/31 14:49:08 UTC

Shenandoah GC?

Hi Devs,

Has anybody tried running Lucene or Solr workloads with the Shenandoah Garbage Collector[1]? I searched through the list archives and saw somebody reported issues with it back in 2014, but I imagine that there's been a lot of change since then.

We've had some initially hopeful results over on HBase, but I know that when there are any sorts of GC issues that Lucene usually surfaces them fairly quickly. Wanted to see if there was already a trail blazed down this road before investing too much further.

Thanks,
Mike

[1]: https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/shenandoah/Main

Re: Shenandoah GC?

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
I think the best approach is that: when its deemed ready and in the
JDK mainline and available in EA releases, we look into adding the
appropriate GC switches to the jenkins randomization.
Until that time, if you want to build the thing yourself and help them
out by reporting tests found by Lucene bugs, that's great.

But keep in mind that our jenkins fails every so often with compiler
bugs from real release JDKs, so it may be better to focus on
stabilizing what is actually supposed to be stable for production. I
responded about a few of those failures in the last month myself.
Honestly I think my replies get ignored because everyone is filtering
out jenkins failures due to the noise of solr tests.

Re: Shenandoah GC?

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Robert.

Re: Shenandoah GC?