Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by lieven <li...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/30 15:56:34 UTC

Orchestration framework / Actor framework with Apache Ignite

Dear community,

looking for some experienced developer feedback :
as my company is starting to use the GridGain/Apache Ignite technology, we
want also to develop some orchestration service on top of this. Example :
our order processing demands back-end data retrieval , cache updates and
pushing forward some updates to other back-ends.

Any positive experience with actor frameworks on top of Apache Ignite , like
Akka, Vert.x ?  Or would you implement this by launching computeTasks and
handle events from the cache to trigger other actions.

Thanks for any experience or feedback you can share !

Re: Orchestration framework / Actor framework with Apache Ignite

Posted by lieven <li...@gmail.com>.
Alexander,

so if I understand well, you're running vert.x inside a Ignite node and use the vertx eventbus across the nodes for work distribution.

Our use case is financial order processing , where the web front-end layers ( outside the Ignite cluster ) will invoke a REST Api ( vert.x inside the cluster ) to handle the execution of orders.

The Ignite cluster will be used to offload the back-end mainframes by : caching all customer information and handle the orchestration/workflow. The workflows for a single order will invoke multiple steps : collect additional information on authorization, verify authenticity of transactions, validate transactions in their context, update back-ends and provide status info on the order execution. Some of these workflow steps can be parallel executed , but need to be all successful to continue the order. So we are looking at the best way to handle these synchronization points and async event processing.

Lieven

Posted by lieven <li...@gmail.com>.
Alexander,

thanks for the swift feedback. What is your use-case ?

Lieven