Posted to general@xerces.apache.org by ro...@us.ibm.com on 2000/02/24 00:46:53 UTC

The Xercification

While the new release is being tested and whatnot, I'm kind of looking
forward towards the next one. The first thing I've done is to complete the
"Xercification" of the source code, i.e. to get rid of all of the
XML4C'isms in the names of files, variables, constants, etc..

Though I can't think of why anyone would complain about completing this
conversion, I figured I'd post this warning. It has to be done eventually,
and it would have been nice to get it into 3.1.0, but then you'd have ended
up waiting even longer for the new release, so we put it further back on
the burner than the new functionality. So the next release seems the
obvious time to complete it and get it over with.

I won't post the code until the new release is known to be golden and the
final build marked in CVS. But, once that's done, I'd like to get all these
trivial but wide ranging changes in. These will certainly affect client
code that uses anything that's been renamed, though mostly the changes are
internal, and particularly within the per-platform files, but there are
definitely going to be some small stuff that shows through to the end
client code. The biggest publically visible one will be that
"XML4CDefs.hpp" is now "XercesDefs.hpp".

The changes that the outside world might see are:

XML4CDefs.hpp       -> XercesDefs.hpp
XML4C_DEBUG         -> XERCES_DEBUG      (Conditional for debug-only code)
XML4CExcepts             -> XMLExcepts        (Namespace for C++ specific
exception codes)
XML4CErrs           -> XMLErrs           (Class for XML errors)
XML4CValid               -> XMLValid          (Class for DTD validity
errors)

Dean Roddey
Software Weenie
IBM Center for Java Technology - Silicon Valley
roddey@us.ibm.com