Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Paul Fremantle <pa...@wso2.com> on 2014/11/04 17:25:31 UTC

Stratos - the meaning

Sorry this is a bit of a diversion but...

My son is studying greek and I was helping him learn his vocab. He had to
translate στρατός and after a while I realized that was Stratos. It means
Army in Greek.

We originally chose the name based on the cloud term, but actually I like
the "army" analogy a lot: Stratos is like an army of workers of different
types. And the manager is the στρατηγός (strategos) - the general. That is
where strategy comes from.

Diversion over.

Paul

--
Paul Fremantle
CTO and Co-Founder, WSO2

UK: +44 207 096 0336

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
twitter.com/pzfreo
paul@wso2.com

wso2.com Lean Enterprise Middleware

Disclaimer: This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information and is intended exclusively for the addressee/s. If you are not
the intended recipient/s, or believe that you may have received this
communication in error, please reply to the sender indicating that fact and
delete the copy you received and in addition, you should not print, copy,
retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information contained in this
communication. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely,
secure, error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any
errors or omissions.

Re: Stratos - the meaning

Posted by Jerad Rutnam <je...@wso2.com>.
Yes, it is interesting.. thanks for sharing.. :)

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 11:21 PM, Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org> wrote:

> This is interesting! :-) Thanks for sharing Paul!
>
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 10:12 PM, Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>
> wrote:
>
>> :) This is cool Paul. I like the analogy "army" and we have very strong
>> battalions on deferent fronts!
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 9:55 PM, Paul Fremantle <pa...@wso2.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry this is a bit of a diversion but...
>>>
>>> My son is studying greek and I was helping him learn his vocab. He had
>>> to translate στρατός and after a while I realized that was Stratos. It
>>> means Army in Greek.
>>>
>>> We originally chose the name based on the cloud term, but actually I
>>> like the "army" analogy a lot: Stratos is like an army of workers of
>>> different types. And the manager is the στρατηγός (strategos) - the
>>> general. That is where strategy comes from.
>>>
>>> Diversion over.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>
>>> --
>>> Paul Fremantle
>>> CTO and Co-Founder, WSO2
>>> OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair, Apache Member
>>>
>>> UK: +44 207 096 0336
>>>
>>> blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
>>> twitter.com/pzfreo
>>> paul@wso2.com
>>>
>>> wso2.com Lean Enterprise Middleware
>>>
>>> Disclaimer: This communication may contain privileged or other
>>> confidential information and is intended exclusively for the addressee/s.
>>> If you are not the intended recipient/s, or believe that you may have
>>> received this communication in error, please reply to the sender indicating
>>> that fact and delete the copy you received and in addition, you should not
>>> print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information
>>> contained in this communication. Internet communications cannot be
>>> guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or virus-free. The sender does not
>>> accept liability for any errors or omissions.
>>>

>> --
>> Lakmal Warusawithana
>> Vice President, Apache Stratos
>> Director - Cloud Architecture; WSO2 Inc.
>> Mobile : +94714289692
>> Blog : http://lakmalsview.blogspot.com/
>>

> --
> Imesh Gunaratne
>
> Technical Lead, WSO2

*Jerad Rutnam | **Software Engineer - UI*
WSO2, Inc. www.wso2.com

*Email: jerad@wso2.com <je...@wso2.com>*

Re: Stratos - the meaning

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.

wrote:

> :) This is cool Paul. I like the analogy "army" and we have very strong
> battalions on deferent fronts!
>
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 9:55 PM, Paul Fremantle <pa...@wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> Sorry this is a bit of a diversion but...
>>
>> My son is studying greek and I was helping him learn his vocab. He had to
>> translate στρατός and after a while I realized that was Stratos. It means
>> Army in Greek.
>>
>> We originally chose the name based on the cloud term, but actually I like
>> the "army" analogy a lot: Stratos is like an army of workers of different
>> types. And the manager is the στρατηγός (strategos) - the general. That is
>> where strategy comes from.
>>
>> Diversion over.
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> --
>> Paul Fremantle
>> CTO and Co-Founder, WSO2
>> OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair, Apache Member
>>
>> UK: +44 207 096 0336
>>
>> blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
>> twitter.com/pzfreo
>> paul@wso2.com
>>
>> wso2.com Lean Enterprise Middleware
>>
>> Disclaimer: This communication may contain privileged or other
>> confidential information and is intended exclusively for the addressee/s.
>> If you are not the intended recipient/s, or believe that you may have
>> received this communication in error, please reply to the sender indicating
>> that fact and delete the copy you received and in addition, you should not
>> print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information
>> contained in this communication. Internet communications cannot be
>> guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or virus-free. The sender does not
>> accept liability for any errors or omissions.
>>

> --
> Lakmal Warusawithana
> Vice President, Apache Stratos
> Director - Cloud Architecture; WSO2 Inc.
> Mobile : +94714289692

Imesh Gunaratne

Technical Lead, WSO2
Committer & PMC Member, Apache Stratos

Re: Stratos - the meaning

Posted by Rajkumar Rajaratnam <ra...@wso2.com>.
And Kubernetes means Pilot in Greek!

Stratos got an Air Force too for the battle :)

On Tuesday, November 4, 2014, Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com> wrote:

> :) This is cool Paul. I like the analogy "army" and we have very strong
> battalions on deferent fronts!
>
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 9:55 PM, Paul Fremantle <paul@wso2.com
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','paul@wso2.com');>> wrote:
>
>> Sorry this is a bit of a diversion but...
>>
>> My son is studying greek and I was helping him learn his vocab. He had to
>> translate στρατός and after a while I realized that was Stratos. It means
>> Army in Greek.
>>
>> We originally chose the name based on the cloud term, but actually I like
>> the "army" analogy a lot: Stratos is like an army of workers of different
>> types. And the manager is the στρατηγός (strategos) - the general. That is
>> where strategy comes from.
>>
>> Diversion over.
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> --
>> Paul Fremantle
>> CTO and Co-Founder, WSO2
>> OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair, Apache Member
>>
>> UK: +44 207 096 0336
>>
>> blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
>> twitter.com/pzfreo
>> paul@wso2.com <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','paul@wso2.com');>
>>
>> wso2.com Lean Enterprise Middleware
>>
>> Disclaimer: This communication may contain privileged or other
>> confidential information and is intended exclusively for the addressee/s.
>> If you are not the intended recipient/s, or believe that you may have
>> received this communication in error, please reply to the sender indicating
>> that fact and delete the copy you received and in addition, you should not
>> print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information
>> contained in this communication. Internet communications cannot be
>> guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or virus-free. The sender does not
>> accept liability for any errors or omissions.
>>

> --
> Lakmal Warusawithana
> Vice President, Apache Stratos
> Director - Cloud Architecture; WSO2 Inc.
> Mobile : +94714289692

Raj

Re: Stratos - the meaning

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.