Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@apache.org> on 2020/06/17 19:07:21 UTC

[DISCUSS] Rename Accumulo master

Hi Accumulo folks! I would like to start a discussion about renaming the
Accumulo master. Previous discussions were held a few years ago [1]. Some
things have changed since we started that discussion, in the world and in
our project governance, so I think it is worth revisiting this topic.

If people agree that a rename would be worthwhile, we can start identifying
the many changes that would need to be made (probably a GitHub issue would
be a good place for that). This will be a big change and I am happy to help
work on it. If anyone else is interested in helping out too, I think we
should be able to break the work down into several discrete tasks.

I believe the best replacement names we came up with on the original ticket
were Coordinator and Conductor. I also wanted to suggest another
possibility that I don't think we considered: Admin / AdminServer. Admin is
generic, but at least it's short. Feel free to share your thoughts and
other ideas, if you have them.

Billie

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-2844

Re: [DISCUSS] Rename Accumulo master

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
I am in favor of making a change and would be happy to help.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Hi Bob,

I sympathize with your intuition that the proposals aren't likely to
add value. I even somewhat share the concern. HOWEVER, I'm still in
favor of seriously considering these changes, because it does matter
to some people, and I do not believe the proposed changes are likely
to cause harm that can't be mitigated. Even if the potential value is
low, I see the risks as being similarly low (if we're careful). So, I
don't see any reason to not be supportive of those who want to see
these changes. I would encourage you to challenge your own intuitions
a little bit, to try to understand that this is important to some in
the community, and if you want to get involved, to try to find ways to
be constructive and helpful with respect to your criticisms of the
proposed changes.

If you only object because you don't think it is worthwhile, then I
don't see any legitimate basis in your email for blocking the work of
motivated volunteer contributors who do think it is worthwhile.

If, on the other hand, you think this is likely to cause harm to
Accumulo or its community, elaborating on the actual harm you think
will occur could be a way to positively contribute to the discussion,
rather than to simply object to the proposals of others as "stupid".
For example, you mention "defects". Can you name any specific
"defects" that this is likely to cause that hasn't already been
considered in this thread that would need to be mitigated or should
seriously inhibit the proposed changes from being made?

If you wish to meaningfully help the project make good decisions by
actively participating with code contributions, reviews, and raising
constructive criticisms to proposals, then you are welcome and
encouraged to do so (and I have suggested ways you can help by
elaborating on your concerns about the risks). However, if you only
wish to jump on the list to object to other's proposed actions by
calling them "stupid" without offering helpful alternatives, or
cool-headed critiques, I would suggest that this may not be the open
source community for you.

Respectfully,
Christopher

Posted by "THORMAN, ROBERT D" <rt...@att.com>.
Nathan,

I'm sorry, but changing code semantics will not fix the human condition that's responsible for racism.  I wish it would, we need that solution.  Is this a step in the right direction, I doubt it.  You're creating more angst that you're solving.

On 6/18/20, 8:04 AM, "Nathaniel Freeman" <vo...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Robert

    A short but sweet reply.

    I've not been involved actively in this project for long, heck I haven't
    really contributed more than a few fringe things in associating projects so
    I'm sure your valuable contributions over the years have pushed the project
    further than could of without your help.

    That being said, I think I'm aligned with the view that if even one person
    feels angst about the naming convention it's worth changing to make a
    better world.

    I really like how the whole community is working out how to do this in a
    measured manner and not a knee jerk e.g. waiting to find out what a new
    standard is, identifying how to implement it without disruption to the
    customers (API versions).

    A friend once told me,
    "just because people don't witness something personally, it doesn't mean it
    doesn't happen".

    Thank you to everyone working this through in a cohesive manner.

    Nat

Posted by Nathaniel Freeman <vo...@gmail.com>.
Robert

Posted by "THORMAN, ROBERT D" <rt...@att.com>.

Posted by Brian Loss <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
I'm in favor of the change.

Posted by Drew Farris <dr...@apache.org>.
Jeremy,

Good question - off the top of my head, most user code employs a list of
zookeepers, an instance name and user/pw for connecting to Accumulo. I
can't think where user code would be required to use the term master
explicitly. There is some platform automation code (e.g:
fluo-uno/fluo-muchos) that will need to change.

All,

FWIW, I'm partial to Billie's suggestion of Coordinator, but Conductor,
Director, Nucleo or Cervello could be options as well.

Drew

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 11:19 AM Joey Frazee
<jo...@icloud.com.invalid> wrote:

> I think this is an important thing to do from the standpoint of being welcoming (this is in the current code of conduct btw).

That is my reason for supporting.  When I ask myself, is this name
unwelcoming?  I concluded that it likely is for some.  Based on that I
decided to support changing the name.

Posted by Joey Frazee <jo...@icloud.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 8:40 AM Ed Coleman <de...@etcoleman.com> wrote:

> For processes, would Root be too confusing? We would then have rservers and tservers which may be more descriptive of functionality.
>
> This discussion is also going on the NiFi lists (and I assume elsewhere)  One thing that popped out is that we may want to avoid leader / follower.  (Leader is problematic in German)  This bring up the issue that we may want avoid rushing on a decision and also consider other apache community consensus so that we don't unintentionally trade one problem for another.

That is a good point.  Don't want to rush and don't want to let it
fall off the radar and also may want to collect more information.

I am thinking of creating a document PR on the website that outlines
the process for choosing a new name.  I think there is broad consensus
that voting on a name change is a good idea.  The specifics of how
this vote will happen need to be worked out. Personally I think a PR
is a better way to do this.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
May I suggest that you reach out to ComDev and try to coordinate with other
projects that are going to do this? Also, whatever GitHub is doing is going
to influence the whole Git community and might be worth keeping that in
mind.

Niclas

Posted by Christopher Waring <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 2:59 PM Kepner, Jeremy - LLSC - MITLL
<ke...@ll.mit.edu> wrote:

> Perhaps the following approach might make sense:
>
> (1) Identify the changes that would need to be made.

I created the following project on Github to try to organize all the
different aspects of this. I am going to work on identifying specific
things that need to be done in the code and opening more issues under
the project for them later today.  Please open issues if you know of
specific work that would need to be done so we can try to identify
everything.

https://github.com/apache/accumulo/projects/14

Posted by "Kepner, Jeremy - LLSC - MITLL" <ke...@ll.mit.edu>.

Posted by Ed Coleman <de...@etcoleman.com>.

Posted by Adam Lerman <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Kepner, Jeremy - LLSC - MITLL" <ke...@ll.mit.edu>.
Will it break user code?

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 5:23 PM Michael Wall <mj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 3:44 PM Brian Loss <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I agree—things have changed in the world since this was last discussed,
> > and I think it’s time to make the change even though it will be disruptive.
> > I support changing both the master branch and Accumulo master service names
> > as well, and am willing to help out with the work to get it done.
> >
> > Mike, do we need to have some consensus on the names before the vote? That
> > is, can the vote select a name from a list, or must it purely be a +/- vote
> > for a specific choice? It might be better to have more discussion in this
> > discuss thread (or in a ticket) before a vote is held
>

> Brian, good question. I was thinking the name choice would be separate from
> whether we should make the change.  But happy to have 1 vote instead of 2.

We could have a ranked vote for the new name.  To keep this to a
single vote, one of the choices for a ranked vote could be "keep
current name".   We could have a period of name proposals (at least 3
days), followed by someone creating a list of all proposals (I could
do that), followed by a ranked vote on the list.

The following method may be good for the vote.

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting

Posted by Marc <ph...@apache.org>.
Thanks for sending this Billie. I like the idea of a vote and also
support the change.

I look forward to all discussions around this.

I assume the target version would be 3x and thus breaking changes
would be minimized via some migration.

I think target GH issues would likely address this. Happy to help in
this endeavor as well.

Thanks,
Marc

Posted by Michael Wall <mj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian Loss <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Wall <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Miller <mm...@apache.org>.
While 'main' might be ok for github use, I don't think it would work well
for Java applications with the reserved use of the 'main' method.  Plus we
already have a "Main" class.

I think "Admin" is nice and short but would be confusing with the Admin
class and keyword executable command.

Reading through some of the ideas from that ticket I like "Director" or
"Conductor".