Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> on 2020/05/31 17:08:15 UTC

Proposed blog on malware report

Hi all,

I propose we publish the following on the Apache NetBeans blog re the
recent announcement by GitHub researchers of malware found in some NetBeans
generated projects on GitHub.

Title: Malware Found in 26 NetBeans Ant Projects on GitHub

Content:

"Researchers at GitHub have identified 26 projects on GitHub that have been
infected by malware. The malware infiltrates the project structure of
Ant-based applications in the format generated specifically by NetBeans.
The owners of the 26 projects, which are mostly small Java applications,
have been contacted and the infected projects have been set to private on
GitHub. The malware campaign is no longer active, GitHub did not consider
it relevant enough to be in touch with the NetBeans community about it, and
there is no evidence that applications beyond the 26 in question have been
impacted. Be aware that any project structure that you use when developing
applications can be infiltrated by malware and make sure that the files you
check into your versioning system are your own or that you know where they
come from and what they do."

Feedback welcome and needed.

Gj

Re: Re: Proposed blog on malware report

Posted by Erik Costlow <er...@outlook.com>.
The initial vector is unknown. With a total of 26 repositories for unknown projects identified among millions of Java repositories, this looks to me like someone was tinkering with malware creation and happened to be using this older build system. With the small number maybe the author owned the repos.
The entry point is not through NetBeans (unless someone clones those repos). If there were, it would prompt more prudent action to resolve the issue and improve defenses.
Even if NetBeans removed that ant build mechanism, one would simply move the payload into a different part of the build system such as a maven plugin, gradle command, or anything else that executes such as a unit test.

These supply chain attacks are becoming more common; I've seen them over with Node, Roby, and an older one that went after Facebook devs. People check code out in IDEs to read it better and work with tools. If checking code out runs commands, that creates an opportunity (even if via the build system).

A good mechanism here for defense would be enumerating what runs and where code comes from. There's a field here called "Software Composition Analysis" that does some of this but it is dependency-focused rather than build-focused.
I would first map the attack surface, which in this case is what runs (scripts, code, etc) and what gets downloaded as a project is checked out, built, and tested/run. If you'd cloned one of those 26 repos, what would you like to have seen? Microsoft AppInspector is a moderately close example (https://www.microsoft.com/security/blog/2020/01/16/introducing-microsoft-application-inspector/) for later in the dev cycle.
Then I would use that map to isolate sensitive operations from the developer machine. Maybe new projects build in isolated containers. Maybe people enable a certain build config and run the rest: first-time with minimal prompts.

________________________________
Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
So a few comments:

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Hi Sally,

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.
+1 on a prompt response

Josh Juneau
juneau001@gmail.com
http://jj-blogger.blogspot.com
https://www.apress.com/us/search?query=Juneau

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jesse Glick <ty...@gmail.com>.
Just a couple minor remarks here:

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 4:39 PM Erik Costlow <er...@outlook.com> wrote:
> This does not impact users of other build systems […] or even most ant users.

Specifically, if you use either freeform or autoproject you can use
Ant as the build tool for your NetBeans project without the specific
project layout targeted by this attack.

> The majority of NetBeans projects leverage native build tool integrations that is shared with continuous integration systems.

The managed Ant-based project types (such as in the `java.j2seproject`
module) _can_ be shared with CI systems. In fact this was a key design
goal at the time, when Java developers would typically do local builds
using proprietary IDE tooling, and then write something else for CI
(if they were doing CI at all) and try to keep the two sets of
configurations in synch.

Re: Proposed blog on malware report

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Yes, agree with that — I think we should take Eric’s rewrite of my
proposal, link to the report and also link to Jaroslav’s blog entry.

Gj

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
Feel free to copy my text ideas, make it less personal and republish where
appropriate.
-jt

po 1. 6. 2020 v 10:33 odesílatel Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.