Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by congo thomas <ap...@thva.dk> on 2012/01/16 23:42:55 UTC

[users@httpd] AllowOverride

Hello world,

I am being bullied by the security considerations of a standard apache
installation on centos-5.6 and rhel-6 aswell - these apache are recent
flavors from the respective repos of these platforms.

The problem is this snippet from httpd.conf
##
<Directory />
 Options FollowSymLinks
 AllowOverride None
</Directory>
##
 are causing any htaccessfile not to be respected, then one might think, i
will adjust that in my vhost for this particular directory where i have a
.htaccess file. However that just will not work, nor with AllowOverride
FileInfo or AllowOverride All, like so:
<Directory /var/www/website/>
 AllowOverride FileInfo
</Directory>

So i thought to put it inside httpd.conf with the exact catalogue name
that is used in the vhostsfile - not event that allows respecting of the
presence of .htaccess file in the catalogue.

The goal is to disallow the reading of htaccessfiles (AllowOverride None)
in all directories served, besides the one at /var/www/website, its okay
if they are not read from /var/www/websites/congo/.
Not that i have a few vhost containers, so the generic solution would be
appreciated to implement.

Ive spend hours locating the problem, and hours trying various
combinations and browsing suggestions through - no solution yet...

br
congo

Re: [users@httpd] AllowOverride

Posted by Igor Cicimov <ic...@gmail.com>.
As I said this should work and AllowOverride for / should be set to none.
The only explanation is that you are using Apache version 2.0 where
"AllowOverride Fileinfo" doesn't apply to Rewrite statements. See the
difference between 2.0 and 2.2:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/core.html#allowoverride
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#allowoverride

Igor