Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2020/10/05 04:26:16 UTC

New distribution guidelines

Hi PPMC members,

New distribution guidelines, that we have been working on for some time, have been published here:
https://incubator.apache.org/guides/distribution.html

They contain information on distributing releases on 3rd party platforms including Maven, GitHub, Docker, NPM and PiPy.

Note that these are good suggestions on best practice and incubating projects can do things differently, but if you follow these guidelines, you are less likely to have issues on graduation.

If you have any questions or feedback on these guidelines, please do so on the Incubator general list.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: New distribution guidelines

Posted by Tianqi Chen <tq...@apache.org>.
Sharing some thoughts about this particular question. The intention of the
guideline is to clearly distinguish the Apache from non-apache ones (to
protect apache's brand).

There are a few ways to achieve so:

- W0: Change the release note to indicate the tag is non-apache
- W1: Change the release title in the github page to include non-apache or
pre-incubation
- W2: Delete the original tag and create a new tag with pre-incubation
suffix (note that many projects might use tag that follows semantic
versioning).

W0 + W1 already serves the purpose pretty clearly, as users who browse the
github release tag page would clearly get the information.

As Ovilia mentioned,  W2 might create some disruptions for users who wish
to use pre-incubation releases and makes the transition less smooth for the
podling.
It might also create confusion about the software's history as some
project might expect the tag might need to follow semantic versioning.
Not requiring W2 might be desirable to make the new podling transition
smooth while also protecting apache's brand(via W0 and W1)

TQ

Posted by Ovilia <ov...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

New ASF guidelines for docker images

Posted by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca>.
Hi Folks,

It seems like there are new guidelines for incubator projects that might
make it easier for us to publish Spark docker images. While we are not an
incubator project, I think this is probably a sign we should revisit
publishing docker images.

Cheers,

Holden

New distribution guidelines, that we have been working on for some time,
have been published here:
https://incubator.apache.org/guides/distribution.html

They contain information on distributing releases on 3rd party platforms
including Maven, GitHub*, *Docker, NPM and PiPy.

Note that these are good suggestions on best practice and incubating
projects can do things differently, but if you follow these guidelines, you
are less likely to have issues on graduation.

If you have any questions or feedback on these guidelines, please do so on
the Incubator general list.

Thanks,
Justin
Books (Learning Spark, High Performance Spark, etc.):
https://amzn.to/2MaRAG9  <https://amzn.to/2MaRAG9>
YouTube Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/user/holdenkarau

Re: New distribution guidelines

Posted by sebbaz <se...@apache.org>.
On 2020/10/05 11:35:39, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> > There's some spurious text at the start of the page.
>
> I’ll remove this.
>
> > Also, what does the acronym IP mean?
>
> IP = Intellectual property

It was a rhetorical question: the reader may not know what it means, so it should be referenced.

> > - "Releases must be placed in the Apache mirror system."
> > Which releases are being referred to here? Source and binaries, or just sources?
>
> The intention was source releases (but both can be placed there), I’ll update it to say that.
>
> > - "Source releases and convenience binaries need to be made from IPMC
> > and PPMC approved ASF releases."
> > As it stands, the sentence appears to be recursive.
>
> It means you can’t make a release from a random point in version control. Releases distributed on other platforms need to come from what was contained in a voted releases. Can you suggest some better wording? Perhaps simplifying to “Convenience binaries need to be made from IPMC approved ASF releases” is better?

Yes, that's better.
 I think "need to be" => "must be"

> > - "Where possible it should be pointed out that Apache project make
> > source releases and convenience binaries are just a convenience for
> > end user."
> > Does not read well.
>
> I agree how about "Apache projects make source releases but can if needed provide convenience binaries to end users.”?

"Apache projects are always released in source form, but additionally ..."

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
There's some spurious text at the start of the page:

"Skip to end of metadata Created by ASF Infrabot, last modified by
Justin Mclean on Jul 14, 2020 Go to start of metadata"

Also, what does the acronym IP mean?

I think there are some ambiguities:

- "Releases must be placed in the Apache mirror system."
Which releases are being referred to here? Source and binaries, or just sources?

- "Source releases and convenience binaries need to be made from IPMC
and PPMC approved ASF releases."
As it stands, the sentence appears to be recursive.

- "Where possible it should be pointed out that Apache project make
source releases and convenience binaries are just a convenience for
end user."
Does not read well.
I don't understand "source releases ... are just a convenience for end user.".
Does not make sense to me.