Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Dmitry <rg...@inbox.ru> on 2011/04/07 16:48:24 UTC

JAMES hangs on mails with 8-bit characters in headers

Hello All

RFC 2822 and RFC 2047 require that all characters with codes above 127 in
headers must be encoded. But more then 10 percent of real e-mails have
8-bit-characters in headers (not only spam! very popular forum engines send
8-bit headers in mails).
If JAMES has received such mails with 8-bit characters in headers and they
are on server, I can not get ALL mails (RFC compliant and not RFC compliant)
through POP3: error 0x800CCC19 in Outlook Express (timeout) or error
0x8004210A in MS Outlook ('The operation timed out waiting for a response
from the receiving (POP) server...')

Through IMAP I get all mails. Messages that are not compliant to RFC have
question marks in their headers.

Issue is here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-1222

Dmitry