Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by InHisGrip <se...@yahoo.com> on 2004/07/25 03:09:41 UTC

[users@httpd] Testing Apache after a Successful Compile

Hi Scot or anyone who will be willing to lend a
helping hand.

I have an apache 2.0.47 from a Fedora 1 machine which
works fine. I am interested in compiling apache from
source tarball and successfully run it.

I downloaded httpd-2.0.50-tar.gz and please refer to
the syntax in sequence upon compile:

1. Downloaded the httpd-2.0.50.tar.gz at the
apache.org site.
2. Moved the tarball into a convenient location,
/usr/local/src
3. Issued the following commands from /usr/local/src:

# tar -vzxf httpd-2.0.50.tar.gz
# cd httpd-2.0.50
# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache
# make
# make install
no errors displayed.... so I proceed below:
# /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
# cd /usr/local/src/httpd-2.0.50
# cp httpd /etc/init.d
overwrite httpd? y
# service httpd restart
# reboot

4. Now before doing this, apache was working fine. But
after I have copied /usr/local/src/httpd-2.0.50/httpd
/etc/init.d things started to play up? I was looking
for a httpd.conf file from where I extracted and
compiled the tarball but couldn't find it. So I went
on in copying the httpd file anyways to its new
location. I think this is what messed up everything.

I also tried making an executable file in
/etc/rc.d/rc.httpd

#!/bin/bash

/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start

but to no avail. I also tried modifying
/etc/rc.d/rc.local and added the startup command but
likewise unsuccessful.

Do you guys have any idea what I may have missed out?
I am totally lost here. Nowhere to go from here on.

Thanks a lot and hope to hear from anyone who may have
the solution to my problem.

Again, thanks in advance.

InHisGrip,
Servie

Re: [users@httpd] Testing Apache after a Successful Compile

Posted by InHisGrip <se...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Scot,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Well, I thought about that before since its the
fastest and easiest way. But most of you guys have
suggested building it from scratch for a more robust
and customized apache server installation.

Though I may have done a monolithic kernel compile
successfully before, this does not mean I may be able
to make a successful compile of apache, have a newly
compiled apache to run and work or unless otherwise.

I followed all the instructions from the apache book,
I am just curious what went wrong or if I may have
missed some stones unturned. The odd thing is the
compile did not exit abnormally so it went smoothly as
it did create the apache directory accordingly.

However, I am still optimistic that someone out there
will lead me on the right track. After all the aim of
this group is to help those who are groping in the
dark.

Anyways, thanks for the tip. This might be my last
option if someone doesn't reply to this thread.

Thanks again and good luck.

InHisGrip,
Servie

Posted by "Scot L. Harris" <we...@cfl.rr.com>.

Posted by InHisGrip <se...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Nick,

Thank you for taking time to look into this problem.

Now, I understand that the previous installation has
somehow affected the new install. I should have done a
rpm -e httpd-2.0.47 to uninstall the old one.

Incidentally, since you mentioned an important
security step which is the pgp verification of the
signature. I know its risky to download any tarball
from a mirror site without verifying its integrity but
I just can't seem to do this right.

Could you please tell me the correct way of doing it?
I tried following the examples from the apache.org
howto but could not verify this properly.

And from there on, I will heed your advise and see
what happens next. My apologies to apache experts in
this group as the steps I have used were all from my
apache book. I appreciated your help and patience
since I am but a mere apache newbie.

Thanks a lot!

InHisGrip,
Servie

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Sat, 24 Jul 2004, InHisGrip wrote:

> 1. Downloaded the httpd-2.0.50.tar.gz at the
> apache.org site.

Good.

> 2. Moved the tarball into a convenient location,
> /usr/local/src

That's unconventional, but harmless.

> 3. Issued the following commands from /usr/local/src:

You missed the important security step: verify the PGP signature on it.

> # tar -vzxf httpd-2.0.50.tar.gz
> # cd httpd-2.0.50
> # ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache
> # make
> # make install

That's fine for what you're doing, but to have a useful webserver you
would of course want to customise it a bit more:-)

> no errors displayed.... so I proceed below:
> # /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start

Should be fine provided you don't already have another httpd running.

> # cd /usr/local/src/httpd-2.0.50

You were already there!

> # cp httpd /etc/init.d

No, you didn't want to do that.  That was the apache binary.
/etc/init.d wants startup scripts.  I'd suggest you just forget
about putting anything in there.

> # service httpd restart

Ugh.