Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Andrew Voumard <an...@melbpc.org.au> on 2012/08/07 14:39:17 UTC

XML Schema include directive not looking in directory relative to the XML Schema file containing the include directive when using CXF 2.6.1 with xerces-J 2.6.2

Hi,

I am having a problem with the parsing of XML documents, using Xerces
for Java 2.6.2. I am having the problem inside of a war file in Sun
Application Server 8.2. It all runs on Windows XP SP2, under JRE
1.5.0_22. Updating to JRE 1.6 is not an option right now.

I have some code that validates XML documents against an XML Schema
in some code that services web service requests - that code is
deployed inside a war file. It was all previously working when I had
been using Axis 1 (JAX-RPC) for web services. When I switched to CXF
2.6.2 and JAX-WS, the xs:include schemaLocation="file" directives
began to fail. All XML Schema files are in the local filesystem.
Instead of looking for include files relative to the directory where
the including XML Schema file exists (as it had been doing), xerces
is now looking for the include file in a parent directory 2 levels up.

I tried to register an EntityResolver against the DocumentBuilder,
but it was nnever called back:

                 Document doc = null;

                 System.setProperty("javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory",
                                 "org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl");

                 final DocumentBuilderFactory factory = DocumentBuilderFactory
                                 .newInstance();
                 factory.setNamespaceAware(true);
                 factory.setValidating(true);
                 factory.setAttribute(
                                 "http://java.sun.com/xml/jaxp/properties/schemaLanguage",
                                 "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema");
                 factory.setAttribute(
                                 "http://java.sun.com/xml/jaxp/properties/schemaSource",
                                 xmlSchemaUrl);

                 final DocumentBuilder builder = factory.newDocumentBuilder();
                 builder.setEntityResolver(XmlSchemaEntityResolver.getSingleInstance());

                 final InputSource is = new InputSource(new
StringReader(xmlDoc));
                 doc = builder.parse(is);
             // parse fails because includes fail ...

Then I read

http://xerces-j-users.markmail.org/message/2ze2qcwmmx3t253g?q=cxf

which said CXF might not be configuring JAXB correctly - it was an
old issue, but I thought it might be of some help  to note here.

If I hardcode the absolute path, or modify the relative path,
everything works ok, but I have hundreds of schema files to work
with, and other applications use them as well, so changing them is
not really an option.

A sample stack backtrace is shown below. It is failing because the
'Header' element is unknown, and that is because the include that
loads the XML Schema file containing the 'Header' element definition
failed to get included. Note that I had to recompile xerces 2.6.2
with debug on, to get the line numbers shown below.

I have spent quite a bit of time trying to resolve this with no luck.
Does anyone have any ideas on what I need to configure or code to get
the XML Schema includes to look for the file specified by the
schemaLocation in a directory relative to the XML Schema file
containing the actual include directive ?

Thanks
Andrew

[#|2012-08-07T15:52:07.392+1000|INFO|sun-appserver-pe8.2|javax.enterprise.system.stream.out|_ThreadID=13;|2012-08-07
15:52:07,392 [httpWorkerThread-8080-2] DEBUG com.company.utils.xml.XmlHelper -
Stack Trace :
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: cvc-complex-type.2.4.a: Invalid
content was found starting with element 'Header'. One of
'{"":GetDetails}' is expected.
   at
org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(ErrorHandlerWrapper.java:236)
   at
org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.error(ErrorHandlerWrapper.java:172)
   at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(XMLErrorReporter.java:380)
   at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(XMLErrorReporter.java:314)
   at
org.apache.xerces.impl.xs.XMLSchemaValidator$XSIErrorReporter.reportError(XMLSchemaValidator.java:410)
   at
org.apache.xerces.impl.xs.XMLSchemaValidator.reportSchemaError(XMLSchemaValidator.java:3114)
   at
org.apache.xerces.impl.xs.XMLSchemaValidator.handleStartElement(XMLSchemaValidator.java:1758)
   at
org.apache.xerces.impl.xs.XMLSchemaValidator.startElement(XMLSchemaValidator.java:686)
   at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.java:320)
   at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:1534)
   at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:338)
   at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:828)
   at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:758)
   at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:148)
   at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DOMParser.parse(DOMParser.java:248)
   at
org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl.parse(DocumentBuilderImpl.java:215)
   at com.company.utils.xml.XmlHelper.validateSchema(XmlHelper.java:98)
   at com.company.ws.MyServiceImpl.GetDetails(MyServiceImpl.java:40)
   at
   at
   at
org.apache.cxf.service.invoker.AbstractInvoker.performInvocation(AbstractInvoker.java:180)
   at
org.apache.cxf.service.invoker.AbstractInvoker.invoke(AbstractInvoker.java:96)
   at
org.apache.cxf.jaxws.AbstractJAXWSMethodInvoker.invoke(AbstractJAXWSMethodInvoker.java:178)
   at
org.apache.cxf.jaxws.JAXWSMethodInvoker.invoke(JAXWSMethodInvoker.java:64)
   at
org.apache.cxf.service.invoker.AbstractInvoker.invoke(AbstractInvoker.java:75)
   at
org.apache.cxf.interceptor.ServiceInvokerInterceptor$1.run(ServiceInvokerInterceptor.java:58)
   at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:417)
   at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:269)
   at
org.apache.cxf.workqueue.SynchronousExecutor.execute(SynchronousExecutor.java:37)
   at
org.apache.cxf.interceptor.ServiceInvokerInterceptor.handleMessage(ServiceInvokerInterceptor.java:107)
   at
org.apache.cxf.phase.PhaseInterceptorChain.doIntercept(PhaseInterceptorChain.java:262)
   at
org.apache.cxf.transport.ChainInitiationObserver.onMessage(ChainInitiationObserver.java:122)
   at
org.apache.cxf.transport.http.AbstractHTTPDestination.invoke(AbstractHTTPDestination.java:211)
   at
org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.ServletController.invokeDestination(ServletController.java:213)
   at
org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.ServletController.invoke(ServletController.java:193)
   at
org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.CXFNonSpringServlet.invoke(CXFNonSpringServlet.java:129)
   at
org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.AbstractHTTPServlet.handleRequest(AbstractHTTPServlet.java:187)
   at
org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.AbstractHTTPServlet.doPost(AbstractHTTPServlet.java:110)
   at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:767)
   at
org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.AbstractHTTPServlet.service(AbstractHTTPServlet.java:166)
   at
   at
   at org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil$1.run(SecurityUtil.java:249)
   at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAsPrivileged(Subject.java:517)
   at org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.execute(SecurityUtil.java:282)
   at
org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.doAsPrivilege(SecurityUtil.java:165)
   at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:257)
   at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.access$000(ApplicationFilterChain.java:55)
   at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain$1.run(ApplicationFilterChain.java:161)
   at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:157)
   at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:263)
   at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:551)
   at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invokeInternal(StandardContextValve.java:225)
   at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:173)
   at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:551)
   at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:170)
   at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:551)
   at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:132)
   at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:551)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:933)
   at org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:189)
   at
com.sun.enterprise.web.connector.grizzly.ProcessorTask.doProcess(ProcessorTask.java:604)
   at
com.sun.enterprise.web.connector.grizzly.ProcessorTask.process(ProcessorTask.java:475)
   at
com.sun.enterprise.web.connector.grizzly.ReadTask.executeProcessorTask(ReadTask.java:371)
   at
com.sun.enterprise.web.connector.grizzly.ReadTask.doTask(ReadTask.java:264)
   at com.sun.enterprise.web.connector.grizzly.TaskBase.run(TaskBase.java:281)
   at
com.sun.enterprise.web.connector.grizzly.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:83)

Re: XML Schema include directive not looking in directory relative to the XML Schema file containing the include directive when using CXF 2.6.1 with xerces-J 2.6.2

Posted by andrewv <an...@melbpc.org.au>.
Hi,

I am unable to change the validator / parser because other software &
libraries in the software I am working on are using, and rely on, Xerces
2.6.2. Therefore, I am specifically interested in knowing how to make this
combination of technologies work together.

Thanks
Andrew

Posted by jam7ahi <mi...@yahoo.co.uk>.
perhaps you should try another parser or validator? I can recommend
http://www.liquid-technologies.com/xml-editor.aspx this  parser and
http://www.liquid-technologies.com/FreeXmlTools/FreeXmlValidator.aspx this
free xml validator.

Posted by andrewv <an...@melbpc.org.au>.
Hi Daniel,

Many thanks for responding. I am a bit loathe to change the Xerces version,
as a _lot_ of non trivial code I am unfamiliar with depends on it, within
the same application. I reviewed the problem, and was able to make separate
copy of the XSDs that had the include issue, and wrote a script to modify
the include to prefix the required relative path, and this workaround is now
working ok. Once I have the opportunity to migrate off Sun Application
Server 8.2, I will revisit this code, and it will hopefully work as expected
under a more modern EE6 app server.

Thanks
Andrew

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Aug 7, 2012, at 8:39 AM, Andrew Voumard <an...@melbpc.org.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having a problem with the parsing of XML documents, using Xerces for Java 2.6.2. I am having the problem inside of a war file in Sun Application Server 8.2. It all runs on Windows XP SP2, under JRE 1.5.0_22. Updating to JRE 1.6 is not an option right now.

Such an ancient version of Xerces…. not sure if it will work.

Really, I have no idea what would cause this.  I guess my first suggestion would be to try just this app  with a newer JDK and Xerces version and see if it's still a problem.   If so, it may be CXF.    A test case would likely be needed though.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp