Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Hytham Shehab <hy...@menanet.net> on 2002/08/21 10:39:37 UTC

installing mod_perl on binar

hi guys,
    how can i install mod_perl under a pre-installed Apache 2 binary
installation?
all what i found through docs is installing via source copies.

thanks

--
Hytham Shehab

Re: installing mod_perl on binar

Posted by Hytham Shehab <hy...@menanet.net>.
Randy,
    finally, i decided to switch to the binary apache/mod_perl bundle
binary.
thanks to twice,
    first for your help in the mailing list.
    second for your good documentation that i have learned - and i will,
insha2 allah - so much.

cheers

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Hytham Shehab wrote:

> hi guys,
>     while am using activeperl on XP, i have installed mod_perl v1.27_01-dev
> using
> ppm, but after getting the whole thing, some script runs and offer me to
> create apache/modules/, when i answere with yes, it bail out upnormally,
> telling me 'something' i didn't figure out about mod_perl.so, then i have
> tried to get this file from the normal tar.gz, but no good.
> in few words, it seems that i have a mod_perl module, but it is not
> complete/functioning correctly.

It sounds like the script to install mod_perl.so into your
Apache modules/ directory failed. You could either try
installing it again via ppm, and when prompted give the
complete path to your Apache modules/ directory, or else
just get mod_perl.tar.gz from
    http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmpackages/x86/
and unpack it, upon which mod_perl.so appears in the
top-level directory - you can then move it manually to
the Apache modules/ directory.

--
best regards,
randy kobes

Re: installing mod_perl on binar

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Hytham Shehab wrote:

> hi Randy,
>     guess what, finaly nothing goes error, but again, *BUT*:
> i have telnet 127.0.0.1 80
> GET / HTTP/1.0
> blah
> Server: Apache/2.0.39 (Win32)
> blah
> this means that the server till the moment doesn't use mod_perl, as it
> must - as far as i know - append mod_perl at the end of Server header

Do you have a directive
in httpd.conf? You might also need
   LoadFile "C:/Path/to/your/Perl/bin/perl56.dll"
as well.

Another issue - your server is Apache 2.0.39, but the
mod_perl-2 ppm package that's in
    http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmpackages/
was compiled against Apache 2.0.40 (which contains an
important security fix for Win32). I believe that there's
a binary incompatibility between 2.0.39 and 2.0.40 as far
as mod_perl goes, so you should probably upgrade Apache
before installing mod_perl.

> another issue, i don't see any <Perl> directive, i thought that mod_perl
> insert - by default - this directive.

The mod_perl installation doesn't alter your httpd.conf. See
the mod_perl-2 docs at http://perl.apache.org/ for some
examples, like registry scripts and simple handlers.

--
best regards,
randy

Re: installing mod_perl on binar

Posted by Hytham Shehab <hy...@menanet.net>.
hi Randy,
    guess what, finaly nothing goes error, but again, *BUT*:
i have telnet 127.0.0.1 80
GET / HTTP/1.0
blah
Server: Apache/2.0.39 (Win32)
blah
this means that the server till the moment doesn't use mod_perl, as it
must - as far as i know - append mod_perl at the end of Server header
another issue, i don't see any <Perl> directive, i thought that mod_perl
insert - by default - this directive.

thx v. much Randy.

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Hytham Shehab wrote:

> am using apache 2
> what to do next?

You need to install the mod_perl-2 ppm package, not the mod_perl
ppm package (which is for mod_perl-1). The same comments as
before apply in installing mod_perl.so into your Apache2 modules/
directory.

More info on setting up and configuring mod_perl-2 is at
http://perl.apache.org/, including a few pages with
Win32-specific info.

--
best regards,
randy

Re: installing mod_perl on binar

Posted by Hytham Shehab <hy...@menanet.net>.
randy kobes write:
> This sounds like a problem with a bad install of apache's default
> configuration file. Which apache version are you using? For
> apache-1.3.26, mod_alias.so and mod_actions.so (and others) are
> compiled into Apache.exe, which you can see via 'Apache.exe -l'.
> So the LoadModule directive for these modules isn't relevant -
> use it only for those that appear in the apache modules/
> directory.
>
> --
> best regards,
> randy kobes

am using apache 2
what to do next?

thx

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.

Posted by Hytham Shehab <hy...@menanet.net>.
hi,
[...]

so i decide to see some wizard like Mr.Randy Kobes to figure out what is
this damn curse is all about? :-)

thx v.much

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Hytham Shehab wrote:
> > hi guys,
> >     how can i install mod_perl under a pre-installed Apache 2 binary
> > installation?
> > all what i found through docs is installing via source copies.
>
> You don't say what platform you are on. On Unix it's all the same, just
> skip the build/installation of the Apache stage. On win32 I don't know,
> probably the same too.

If it's ActivePerl Win32, one can also use the ppm utility
to install a mod_perl-2 ppm package - this is described in
the Win32 section of the docs. As always with binary packages,
though, one should ensure the apache binary version matches
that which mod_perl-2 was compiled under.

--
best regards,
randy

Re: installing mod_perl on binar

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Hytham Shehab wrote:

> ok Randy,
> Cannot load C:/Program Files/Apache Group/apache/modules/mod_perl.so
> into server: The specified procedure could not be found.

Is this with the current mod_perl-2 ppm package? And if so,
are you using Apache 2.0.40? And do you have a
    LoadFile "C:/Path/to/your/Perl/bin/perl56.dll"
directive, before the LoadModule directive?

> btw, one small question, why apache 2.* for win32 shipped
> without mod_ssl?

I believe because of export restrictions - there's a
page on http://httpd.apache.org/ that discusses this.

--
best regards,
randy

Re: installing mod_perl on binar

Posted by Hytham Shehab <hy...@menanet.net>.
ok Randy,
    Cannot load C:/Program Files/Apache Group/apache/modules/mod_perl.so
into server: The specified procedure could not be found.
!?

btw, one small question, why apache 2.* for win32 shipped without mod_ssl?

thx v.much Randy.
--
Hytham Shehab