Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by deneche abdelhakim <a_...@yahoo.fr> on 2008/03/25 21:51:07 UTC

Re : GSoC Evolutionary Algorithm Idea

>> Im a PhD student on AI and adaptive systems, I have been working on
>> evolutionary algorithms for the last 4 years.
>
>Which problems have you applied your algorithms to?

I used an Artificial Immune System (AIS) for the learning phase of a pattern recognition system. I also used it for a Multiple Sequence Alignment problem (bioinformatics)

>> I implemented my own Aritifial Immune System with Matlab and as a Java
>> extension to Yale,
>
>Did you submit the extension back to Yale? Can one try it out after
>downloading the standard distribution or is it available for download
>somewhere else?

I built a feature selection operator with an AIS at its core, it was for Yale 3.0...the operator was working but needed more tuning and for lack of time, I didn't publish it anywhere. The source code is still available.

>> I also worked with a C++ framework for multi-objective optimization.
>
>Which framework was that?

ParadisEO

My work was to add new algorithms to the framework...

>> I plan to use some an existing open source framework for the genetic
>> algorithm, the framework should take care of all tha GA stuff,
>
>Which framework would that be?

Many possibilities exist, I think I will start with WatchMaker, it seems simple and well documented...but I still need to try it (never knows what could happen !!!)

>> What do you think about it ?
>
> How about writing a proposal for your project idea?

Iam writing it, just wated to know if the idea would help the Mahout project...and I already installed and tried Hadoop (not that easy on Windows !!!)

Abdel Hakim Deneche
Mentouri University of Constantine

Envoyez avec Yahoo! Mail. Capacité de stockage illimitée pour vos emails. http://mail.yahoo.fr

Re: Re : GSoC Evolutionary Algorithm Idea

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

> My work was to add new algorithms to the framework...
>
>>> I plan to use some an existing open source framework for the genetic
>>> algorithm, the framework should take care of all tha GA stuff,
>>
>> Which framework would that be?
>
> Many possibilities exist, I think I will start with WatchMaker, it
> seems simple and well documented...but I still need to try it (never
> knows what could happen !!!)

I see this is ASL, so that seems workable, but I'd be interested in
hearing more about how it integrates w/ what we are doing?

-Grant