Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> on 2011/06/27 16:04:58 UTC

Top level question on email@openoffice.org account migration

Along with the many other migration points, a critical question will be
what we do with existing openoffice.org email addresses.

- Does anyone know roughly how many oo.o email addresses are currently
active?

- Do you get full mailbox support on the oo.o server currently, or are
they just forwarding addresses?  (Note that @apache.org committer
accounts are mostly just .forwards at the moment, see [1] for more info
on how current @a.o email works).

- My personal suggestion would be to keep the existing accounts (since
there are plenty of past OOo contributors who probably count on them!),
but not allow any new accounts until at least when the project graduates
to top level.

But that's just a suggestion, it's up for the project to decide (and to
work with the Apache infrastructure team to determine what can be
supported!)

I added this to the Transition Planning Community wiki page [2], which I
(think?) is the overall coordination place for the transition work from
Oracle servers to Apache servers.

- Shane

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html#mail
[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Transition+Planning

Re: Top level question on email@openoffice.org account migration

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>.
Shane Curcuru wrote:
> - Does anyone know roughly how many oo.o email addresses are currently
> active?

No, but I already wrote on this list that in March 2011 Stefan Taxhet
deleted most accounts and left active only those who had been used
(i.e., login on the OOo site) in the latest 18 months. This should leave
only a few hundreds accounts, but this is just my estimate.

> - Do you get full mailbox support on the oo.o server currently, or are
> they just forwarding addresses?

Only forwarding address.

Regards,
  Andrea.