Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Jorge Quiroga <jq...@pctltda.com> on 2005/12/19 20:31:15 UTC

Parametrized page generation with Tapestry

Hi all,

I'm developing my first app with Tapestry (rc1 and jdk 1.5), and I need
to generate a page for querying against a DB, based on a C/S existing
app, but what I want (if that is possible with Tapestry) is a page
dynamically generated, based on a metadata who define things like fields
to show in the result, possible parameters (name, display, type, etc)
and the kind of component to render for each parameter (select, radio or
text, etc). I saw a Dynamic component
(http://www.mjhenderson.com/tapestry/components/dynamic/DynamicBlock.html)
but isn´t clear for me the example that he shows. Every page that will
be show, has a menu (in js) the parameter's list (with or without tabs
grouping them) and the result table (after submit the values of
parameters) I read about RenderBlock and RenderBody, but the example
shows that I need a .page and .html for each Menu option with some hard
code, by the other side the conditional component could be a solution,
but it seems a "brute force" solution. Isn't clear for me how with
Tapestry I can generate this template and catch the parameters' values
for the runtime named and generated components and how generate them
with minimum .page, .htm archives. Can someone explain me how to achieve
this? or if I need another kind of tool, which one recommend?

Thanks in advance

Jorge Quiroga

Re: Parametrized page generation with Tapestry

Posted by Jorge Quiroga <jq...@pctltda.com>.
Thanks Darío, it seems to be easy. I´ll try it if this tool really help
me with the project.

Jorge Quiroga

Darío Vasconcelos wrote:
> Jorge,
>
> what you describe is very similar to what Trails
> (https://trails.dev.java.net/): it displays and generates pages
> dynamically depending on the action (create, edit, display) and the
> backend information (a database, most of the time). Maybe you should
> take a look at it...
>
> Regards,
>
> Dario
>

> On 12/19/05, Jorge Quiroga <jq...@pctltda.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm developing my first app with Tapestry (rc1 and jdk 1.5), and I need
>>to generate a page for querying against a DB, based on a C/S existing
>>app, but what I want (if that is possible with Tapestry) is a page
>>dynamically generated, based on a metadata who define things like fields
>>to show in the result, possible parameters (name, display, type, etc)
>>and the kind of component to render for each parameter (select, radio or
>>text, etc). I saw a Dynamic component
>>(http://www.mjhenderson.com/tapestry/components/dynamic/DynamicBlock.html)
>>but isn´t clear for me the example that he shows. Every page that will
>>be show, has a menu (in js) the parameter's list (with or without tabs
>>grouping them) and the result table (after submit the values of
>>parameters) I read about RenderBlock and RenderBody, but the example
>>shows that I need a .page and .html for each Menu option with some hard
>>code, by the other side the conditional component could be a solution,
>>but it seems a "brute force" solution. Isn't clear for me how with
>>Tapestry I can generate this template and catch the parameters' values
>>for the runtime named and generated components and how generate them
>>with minimum .page, .htm archives. Can someone explain me how to achieve
>>this? or if I need another kind of tool, which one recommend?
>>

>>Thanks in advance
>>
>>Jorge Quiroga

> "Painting: The art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather and
> exposing them to the critic."
>    Ambrose Bierce

  Ing. Jorge Enrique Quiroga
Analista programador
PCT LTDA

Teléfonos: 4800069-4800046-4811984
Dirección: Carrera 28 bis Nº 51-08
Bogota D.C. - Colombia

Re: Parametrized page generation with Tapestry

Posted by Darío Vasconcelos <da...@gmail.com>.
Jorge,