Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Jeffrey D. Brekke" <jb...@wi.rr.com> on 2003/12/31 21:00:54 UTC

[net] Branching

I like the idea of supporting older jvm versions while moving forward
with new development.  I would suggest we do the branching slightly
different than you have described.  I've found that keeping normal
development happening on the HEAD branch to be more beneficial than an
experimental branch.  We would branch for bug fixes only, all new
development proceeds on HEAD.

After we make a 1.1 compatible release and tag, that will be the
branch point for any 1.1 fixes.  Next we can make a release with 1.2
support and tag, that will be the branch point for any 1.2 related
fixes.  All development then proceeds on HEAD.

Its just a suggestion.  I can live with an experimental branch also,
just in other projects I've been involved with, if HEAD isn't the
focal point of new development, it get confusing where to put stuff,
what is working, etc.

RE: [net] Branching

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I've found that keeping normal development happening on the
> HEAD branch to be more beneficial than an experimental
> branch.  We would branch for bug fixes only, all new
> development proceeds on HEAD.

If projects start moving to Subversion, which will start happening next year
anyway, these sorts of issues would become moot.  Not saying that net should
switch; just pointing out one of the benefits of Subversion.

	--- Noel