Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by "Joshua Dotson (josdotso)" <jo...@cisco.com> on 2018/03/30 00:12:43 UTC

XFS+noatime for Zookeeper

Hello.

Is there any reason using an XFS filesystem mounted with the noatime option would be a problem for Zookeeper data (/var/lib/zookeeper).  From my reading, this XFS+noatime is a good match for Kafka, so I’m just wondering if this will hurt/enhance Zookeeper in any way.

I’m using the container mentioned here:

https://github.com/kubernetes/contrib/tree/master/statefulsets/zookeeper

Thanks,
Joshua

Re: XFS+noatime for Zookeeper

Posted by Sargun Dhillon <sa...@sargun.me>.
On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 5:21 PM, Raúl Gutiérrez Segalés
<rg...@itevenworks.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 5:12 PM, Joshua Dotson (josdotso) <
> josdotso@cisco.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> Is there any reason using an XFS filesystem mounted with the noatime
>> option would be a problem for Zookeeper data (/var/lib/zookeeper).  From my
>> reading, this XFS+noatime is a good match for Kafka, so I’m just wondering
>> if this will hurt/enhance Zookeeper in any way.
>>
>> I’m using the container mentioned here:
>>
>> https://github.com/kubernetes/contrib/tree/master/statefulsets/zookeeper
>

> fwiw, I've been using like that -- in production -- for years:
>
> /dev/md0 on /zkdata xfs
> (rw,noatime,nobarrier,discard,inode64,logbsize=256k)
>

> -rgs
Likewise. But a suggestion. Use relatime. It'll make debugging in the
future without much of a performance hit. If you're using a modern
enough kernel, the metadata overhead is negligible.

Re: XFS+noatime for Zookeeper

Posted by Raúl Gutiérrez Segalés <rg...@itevenworks.net>.
Hi,