Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2012/03/19 06:22:37 UTC

Re: "bin" folder for executable files/scripts

Thanks everyone for the valuable comments!
I am trying to finalize this thread: there seems to be consensus to move all the executable scripts into a folder to keep things organized.
For the name of the folder:
* some of you think that the "bin" (as I originally suggested) should be used because it is often used for this purpose
* some of you are worried that this could interfere with some commonly used IDEs (e.g. Eclipse) that use the bin folder for output and need to be configured to use a different standard name

After reviewing what we have now in OFBiz I am wondering if we could use the already existing "tools" folder; its current layout is:
tools/api-java16
tools/src

option a: add all the executables to tools/ folder directly
option b: create a subfolder tools/bin and add all the executables there

What do you think?

Jacopo

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hi Francis,

sorry for the confusion (the subject is misleading) but we actually decided to not use the bin folder to avoid issues with Eclipse or other editors; all the scripts are now in the "tools" folder.

Jacopo

On Mar 27, 2012, at 5:51 AM, Francis ANDRE wrote:

> [...]
>> us by the wonderful work around to run an executable script with out
>> having to type "tools".
>>
>> So this can be added to the login script on Hans machine, for the
>> account running ofbiz:
>>
>> export PATH=$PATH:./tools
>>
>> and should be good to go after activating the login script.
>>
>> Bottom line,
>> I prefer to remove them for cosmetic reasons,  and to get the users
>> used to do some extra on their side (like typing the extra "./tools").
>> But at the same time, I don't really see harm keeping those scripts in
>> the root of ofbiz, and since it not significant.
>>
>> My only concern is more about politics involved in making future
>> decisions related to the progress of ofbiz. If we have to go through
>> this to change the location of a script, what are we going to do, when
>> and if we (the community) decided to do a major change ?!!
>>
>> This is exactly how I feel Jacopo.
>>

>> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 5:43 AM, Jacopo Cappellato
>> <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>  wrote:
>>> Here is an update on this never-ending story for a small task :-)
>>> All my work is now back into the trunk: this means that all the executable scripts (*.sh and *.bat) are now under the "tools" folder. This means that from now on in trunk (and in future releases from 12.04 on) in order to run the scripts, assuming you are in the OFBiz home folder, you will have to:
>>> a) "cd" to the "tools" folder and then run the scripts as usual OR
>>> b) run the scripts specifying the "tools" path; for example "./tools/startofbiz.sh"
>>>
>>> However there is a simpler way of starting a stopping OFBiz from the home folder (in all operating systems):
>>> 1) starting ofbiz:
>>> ant run
>>> 2) stopping ofbiz:
>>> ant stop
>>>
>>> The two commands above are essentially the same of the startofbiz/stopofiz.sh/bat versions.
>>> The OFBiz README file has been already updated to reflect these changes, so users will be informed.
>>>
>>> Now we need your help/input to complete this work:
>>>
>>> 1) please test the scripts, the "ant" versions and the ones moved under the "tools" folder (because we had to modify them to make them work from the new location), in your os/platform: we did some limited tests on Linux/OSX but it would be great to get more feedback (especially for the Windows versions)
>>>
>>> 2) what about renaming the "ant run" task into "ant start"? In my opinion it will be easier to have an "ant start" and an "ant stop" commands to manage the OFBiz instance
>>>
>>> 3) Hans copied the original version of the start and stop scripts for Linux/Unix (startofbiz.sh and stopofbiz.sh) back in the OFBiz home folder; Hans has provided several reasons for this but I will summarize here only the ones that (in my opinion) make sense (you can read the other thread if interested or Hans is free to add them here if he really thinks that what I have suppressed actually makes sense in this context):
>>> 3.a) backward compatibility for the Unix/Linux users: Linux users that are used at running the start and stop scripts from the home folder can still do this without having to cd to the tools folder (or use the "tools/" prefix) or without having to switch to the "ant" equivalents

Posted by Francis ANDRE <fr...@orange.fr>.
Hi

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Mar 26, 2012, at 11:05 PM, Mansour Al Akeel wrote:

> Using ant task is not so bad. I think it supports something like
> daemons in the parallel task, where tomcat can be started in the
> background.
> another task from antconrib is "forget"
> http://ant-contrib.sourceforge.net/tasks/tasks/forget.html

Mansour, this is interesting, thank you.
I think we can add a new task to run OFBiz as a separate process using the "spawn" attribute:

    <target name="run-batch"
            description="This will start OFBiz in a separate process">
        <java jar="ofbiz.jar" fork="true" spawn="true">
            <jvmarg value="${memory.initial.param}"/>
            <jvmarg value="${pos.memory.max.param}"/>
            <jvmarg value="${memory.maxpermsize.param}"/>
            <sysproperty key="ofbiz.admin.port" value="${ofbiz.admin.port}"/>
            <sysproperty key="ofbiz.admin.key" value="${ofbiz.admin.key}"/>
        </java>
    </target>

Jacopo

Re: "bin" folder for executable files/scripts

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Mar 26, 2012, at 11:05 PM, Mansour Al Akeel wrote:

> [...] My only concern is more about politics involved in making future
> decisions related to the progress of ofbiz. If we have to go through
> this to change the location of a script, what are we going to do, when
> and if we (the community) decided to do a major change ?!!
>
> This is exactly how I feel Jacopo.

This is actually the main problem that I am determined to fix: the problem is real and the consequence of it is evident in the status of the OFBiz codebase.
The situation will greatly improve when committers will understand that we *have* to use our commit rights to serve the OFBiz community by implementing what is decided in the OFBiz dev list (and not to freely contribute our own code to the project).
In the past this didn't happen also because there was not a common strategy for the project and so "every contribution" was good for the project and every committer was authorized to contribute what she/he wanted... this was an anomaly that we are now fixing but of course we have to face with the resistance from committers that were used to do what they wanted to without constraints.
But I am very determined and confident that this will soon be fixed because committers can't use the power, that the OFBiz PMC gave them to serve the project, to block or refrain what the community decided and so we will have to get comfortable with the new situation (and the OFBiz PMC will oversight this situation).

Kind regards,

Jacopo

Re: "bin" folder for executable files/scripts

Posted by Mansour Al Akeel <ma...@gmail.com>.
Jacopo,

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Jose, Price,

Posted by "Jose F. Fernandez" <jf...@marketic.eu>.
Hi Jacopo!

your script works, but I think that more correct one will be:
echo off
%~d0
set OFBIZ_HOME=%~p0..\
echo on
cd %OFBIZ_HOME%
"%JAVA_HOME%\bin\java" -Xms128M -Xmx512M -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -jar ofbiz.jar
echo off

wich produces:

D:\Java\workspace2\ofbiz>tools\startofbiz.bat
D:\Java\workspace2\ofbiz>echo off
D:\Java\workspace2\ofbiz>cd \Java\workspace2\ofbiz\tools\..\
D:\Java\workspace2\ofbiz>REM "D:\Java\jdk1.6.0_29_i586\bin\java" -Xms128M -Xmx512M -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -jar ofbiz.jar
D:\Java\workspace2\ofbiz>echo off

and

D:\Java\workspace2\ofbiz\tools>startofbiz.bat
D:\Java\workspace2\ofbiz\tools>echo off
D:\Java\workspace2\ofbiz\tools>cd \Java\workspace2\ofbiz\tools\..\
D:\Java\workspace2\ofbiz>REM "D:\Java\jdk1.6.0_29_i586\bin\java" -Xms128M -Xmx512M -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -jar ofbiz.jar
D:\Java\workspace2\ofbiz>echo off

With yours, the cd command is pretty ugly (note the filename inline) even it works (not from another drive letter):

D:\Java\workspace2\ofbiz>tools\startofbiz.bat
D:\Java\workspace2\ofbiz>echo off
D:\Java\workspace2\ofbiz>cd tools\startofbiz.bat\..\..\
D:\Java\workspace2\ofbiz>REM "D:\Java\jdk1.6.0_29_i586\bin\java" -Xms128M -Xmx512M -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -jar ofbiz.jar
D:\Java\workspace2\ofbiz>echo off

Thats because %0 returns the script name but %~p0 returns the path portion of the command.
Also note that I added one more line:
%~d0

That is to ensure that it will work if called from a diferent drive letter (nothing to do on Linux):

C:\Windows\System32>D:\Java\workspace2\ofbiz\tools\startofbiz.bat
C:\Windows\System32>echo off
D:\Java\workspace2\ofbiz>cd \Java\workspace2\ofbiz\tools\..\
D:\Java\workspace2\ofbiz>REM "D:\Java\jdk1.6.0_29_i586\bin\java" -Xms128M -Xmx512M -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -jar ofbiz.jar
D:\Java\workspace2\ofbiz>echo off

Someone else could test and report?

ThankU!!

Jose F.