Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <gg...@seagullsw.com> on 2003/12/30 20:39:02 UTC

SystemUtils methods vs. fields vs. new class [WAS: [lang] SystemU tils.JAVA_IO_TMPDIR]

I was not wild about the current impl when I saw it but the fix was
backwards compatible, that part was nice.

(1) So perhaps the question becomes: Should all of the fields be turned
(deprecated?) into methods and the exceptions not caught? For example:

SystemUtils.getJavaIoTmpDir();
SystemUtils.getJavaRuntimeName();

If the exceptions are not caught, it is possible that the class then becomes
unusable in certain contexts.

The CVS comment for that change from Stephen was: "Reworked class to avoid
security exceptions from Michael Becke". Is that really appropriate? It
seems a bit nasty that the class is quietly initialized with nulls.

(2) Should there be instead an isAvailable() kind of method instead?

(3) Or what about a class that deals /specifically/ with all of this, a nice
and focused job: SystemProperties, a singleton, or static
SystemPropertiesUtils.

SystemProperties.getInstance().getClassPath();
SystemPropertiesUtils.getClassPath();

SystemProperties would define only methods and object versions of the
appropriate methods. For example

File file = SystemProperties.getInstance().getJavaIoTmpDirFile();
String dirName = SystemProperties.getInstance().getJavaIoTmpDir();

?

Gary

<snip>

Re: SystemUtils methods vs. fields vs. new class [WAS: [lang] SystemU tils.JAVA_IO_TMPDIR]

Posted by __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net>.
I feel that all of the methods which deal with system properties aren't
very useful.

Here's the choice:

1) new File(SystemUtils.JAVA_IO_TMPDIR)
- may throw a NullPointerException if a secret SecurityException occurs

2) new File(System.getProperty("java.io.tmpdir"))
- may throw a SecurityException

I just don't think that adding code to SystemUtils to accomplish this
task is worth the effort.  What's the problem with option 2 above?