Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Geoff hendrey <ge...@yahoo.com> on 2007/09/08 19:16:29 UTC

REMARKS column

Thanks for your reply. The "REMARKS" column I am interested in would be the one returned in the ResultSet for getColumns().

I was hoping there was a way to write content into the REMARKS for a given column without having to build my own version of Derby. It seems like it would be a very convenient and useful feature, to be able to write the REMARKS. This could be used to annotate the columns of one's data model.

Is there any chance you would consider adding this as a feature? There could be a system call that would allow the REMARK to be written for a given column.

Thanks!
-geoff

===============
Hi Geoff,

Several DatabaseMetaData methods return ResultSets which have a column
named REMARKS. For instance, getColumns(), getTables(), and
getProcedures() return ResultSets which contain a REMARKS column. The
contents of these columns are determined by queries stored in the
following Derby source file:
java/engine/org/apache/derby/impl/jdbc/metadata.properties. In order to
change the contents of these columns, you would have to edit those
queries and build your own Derby engine.

Hope this helps,
-Rick

Re: REMARKS column

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Geoff,

You're welcome to create a JIRA issue, describing this new feature.
Instructions on how to create a JIRA can be found in the "Provide
Feedback" section at the top of the following webpage:
http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_comm.html At a minimum, other people
may be able to help you brainstorm what you need here. For instance, do
you want to set the contents of REMARKS when you create the table or do
you want to be able to change the REMARKS dynamically at run time?

This would be a good introductory feature for someone who wants to learn
how to extend Derby. Naturally, you're welcome to try this yourself!

Regards,
-Rick