Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gilles SCHLIENGER <gi...@cncc.fr> on 2018/11/08 20:45:36 UTC

Default context.xml with parallel deployment

Hi everyone,

We are using Tomcat 9.0.8.

We are using xml context files in  $CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/ to store the database connexion information.

When using parallel deployment, I understand that you should use for specific context xml files :
- for myapplication##1.war : myapplication##1.xml
- for myapplication##2.war : myapplication##2.xml

We would like to have a default context xml file ONLY available for the « myapplication » application but for all versions

It seems we could use a file called « context.xml.default » but the properties would be also available to other applications, which we don't want.

Is there a way to have a context.xml file available to all versions of the same application or any other way to do it ?

Thanks a lot in advance !
Regards
Gilles

RE: Default context.xml with parallel deployment

Posted by Gilles SCHLIENGER <gi...@cncc.fr>.
I tried my best with this solution.

Actually, using external entities for an XML attribute is not supported with an external file, so the solution in the FAQ does not seem good.

I get a strange error when I do a SYSTEM reference to an external XML file, the webapp can not start.
I get for my jdbc datasource :
IntrospectionUtils: Assert: Illegal params null ContextResource[name=jdbc/...

So I'm afraid I can't use this solution...

Regards
Gilles

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gilles SCHLIENGER <gi...@cncc.fr>.
Hi Guido,

Thank you very much for your answer.

Our context xml file contains <Environment> and <Resource> elements

Can you give me more details about what you mean by seamlink ?

We want toovoid having to create a new file in $CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/ everytime we deploy a war with a new version of the application.

Thanks a lot again
Regards
Gilles

what aspects do you use in you  myapplication#foo.xml ? You may symlink this files from an application-specific master template, e.g. myapplication.xml

greeatings

Guido

Posted by Jäkel, Guido <G....@dnb.de>.
Dear Giles,