Posted to dev@oodt.apache.org by Lauren Wong <la...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/20 20:55:28 UTC

OODT usability question

Hello Everybody!

My name is Lauren Wong and I am a UX Designer from Phoenix currently
working on some ideas for designing skins for OODT. Excited to learn more
about OODT while at JPL, but am hoping I can get some more information via
the listserv.

I have a few questions regarding the usability of the OPS UI:

*1. Who are the main users of OODT?*

*2. What functions do users need to access most?*

*3. What are the biggest challenges users currently face when using OODT?*

Looking forward to your answers. Thank you!

laurenawong.com I 520.444.5038
Let's connect on LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/laurenawong>, Twitter
<https://twitter.com/Lawongsta>, Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/lawong12>, and Google+
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/114272803136500349407/posts>

Re: OODT usability question

Posted by "Verma, Rishi (398M)" <Ri...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Tom,

> I've started work on decoupling OPSUI from its wicket web interface and
> putting a REST interface over the top so people can (more) easily extend
> upon OPSUI and the various features it offers. I'm hoping to get a test out
> next week as we're just replicating OPSUI methods in REST world.

Very nice! Is there a JIRA for this?

You might want to look at Ross Laidlaw’s work for adding a REST interface for the product server web app: https://github.com/apache/oodt/tree/trunk/webapp/fmprod/src/main/java/org/apache/oodt/cas/product/jaxrs

> Rishi, if you think OPSUI is missing control features(which I think it
> probably is), let me know in a different thread where you think its lacking
> and we can look to add endpoints to the new service.

At the minimum, I’m thinking basic user controls such as start/stop/restart of the various manager components and crawlers.

Rishi

On Apr 21, 2015, at 2:05 AM, Tom Barber <to...@meteorite.bi> wrote:

> [...]
> probably is), let me know in a different thread where you think its lacking
> and we can look to add endpoints to the new service.
>
> I also plan to do the same with CAS Curator as me and Starch have a bit of
> agreement where I'll knock up some REST interfaces to replace both the
> servers and he'll create some standard Backbone, HTML & JQuery templates
> that people can extend and build off without having to hack the crap out of
> Wicket based JSPs and stuff, should be a much easier entry point for people
> wanting to customise the OODT experience.
>
> Laura, I don't know who you are working for, but similarly, if you touch
> base with Michael Starch it might be an easier entry point and worth while
> going forward to pool resource there, or you can completely ignore me and
> continue as planned ;)
>
> Tom
>
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 9:16 PM, Verma, Rishi (398M) <
> Rishi.Verma@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>
>> Hi Lauren, Lewis,
>>
>> Lauren, I’m wondering if we could take some of your questions and turn
>> them into an online poll? The results of which could be added to the wiki
>> page Lewis referenced. This might help get some diverse feedback.
>>
>> In any case though, I’ve done some skin work for OODT’s OPSUI, and I’ve
>> thought a little bit about some of your questions:

>> Currently, this tends to be developers of data-systems and data-pipelines.
>> In other words, people with some programming experience who want to store
>> files, search for them, and process them into further refined files
>> automatically.

>> Hmm.. my opinion is data-search by file metadata or product type metadata
>> is #1 (i.e. OODT file manager). Data processing (i.e. OODT workflow
>> manager/resource manager) is a close second.

>> OODT?*
>>
>> * Coordination and control of the various components of OODT. Right now,
>> command-line is the de facto way to control an OODT installation. OPSUI
>> helps monitor files and processing, but it provides read-only data and
>> could use some usability upgrades.
>>
>> * Documentation. In some cases, there’s far too much information scattered
>> about, in other cases, there’s too little.
>>
>> * Website. We need an easier to understand website that’s more
>> user-targetted. There was some work done last year on trying to improve
>> OODT’s website (http://oodt.staging.apache.org/) but its still a
>> work-in-progress.
>>
>> Rishi
>>
>> On Apr 20, 2015, at 12:15 PM, Lewis John Mcgibbney <
>> lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Lauren,
>>> There was recently a poll of sorts which was posted on to the OODT wiki.
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OODT/OODT+Community+Survey
>>> I don't know how well it was populated, but maybe this could help you. It
>>> might also be an opportunity to make a push on getting this populated.
>>> You should also look at the existing material on the wiki

---

Re: OODT usability question

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@meteorite.bi>.

Re: OODT usability question

Posted by "Verma, Rishi (398M)" <Ri...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Lauren, Lewis,

On Apr 20, 2015, at 12:15 PM, Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Lauren,
> There was recently a poll of sorts which was posted on to the OODT wiki.
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OODT/OODT+Community+Survey
> I don't know how well it was populated, but maybe this could help you. It
> might also be an opportunity to make a push on getting this populated.
> You should also look at the existing material on the wiki
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/dosearchsite.action?queryString=opsui
> hth
> Lewis
>
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 2:55 PM, Lauren Wong <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Everybody!
>>
>> My name is Lauren Wong and I am a UX Designer from Phoenix currently
>> working on some ideas for designing skins for OODT. Excited to learn more
>> about OODT while at JPL, but am hoping I can get some more information via
>> the listserv.
>>
>> I have a few questions regarding the usability of the OPS UI:
>>
>> *1. Who are the main users of OODT?*
>>
>> *2. What functions do users need to access most?*
>>
>> *3. What are the biggest challenges users currently face when using OODT?*
>>
>> Looking forward to your answers. Thank you!
>>

>> laurenawong.com I 520.444.5038
>> Let's connect on LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/laurenawong>,
>> Twitter
>> <https://twitter.com/Lawongsta>, Facebook
>> <https://www.facebook.com/lawong12>, and Google+
>> <https://plus.google.com/u/0/114272803136500349407/posts>
>>

> --
> *Lewis*

---

Re: OODT usability question

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lauren,

Re: OODT usability question

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Lauren, great job asking the question!

Two people from OODT recently answered some similar questions
on Quora (myself and Cameron Goodale), see:

http://qr.ae/L4CaD

There is also an open questionnaire that I
am meaning to answer:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/BZZJAw

Hope those help!

Cheers,