Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Chris Kimpton <ki...@yahoo.com> on 2001/12/03 16:26:24 UTC

Is there a default profile for logged in users - different from the anon profile?

Hi,

I want to have a default profile for logged in users, the same as
what has been mentioned previously, such that if a user is logged in,
but has no profile (psml), then the "logged in" default is used -
rather than the anon version.

I presume such a facility does not currently exist.

My initial thoughts on how to add such a thing would be by selecting
for profiles where user is null, but the anonymous flag is false.

So, in the JetspeedProfilerService.fallbackList, when the user check
fails, the user is set to null, if that fails, set the anon flag to
true.

Then in the db lookup facility, try and find a user profile with a
null user_name.

In the castor/file lookup facility, it would try anon, group, role
first and if none of those assume its user - and as the code does now
- only append the username if not-null...

Does this make sense?

Regards,
Chris

=====
Need somewhere to Live in London? - Then go to http://freeflats.com

RE: Is there a default profile for logged in users - different from the anon profile?

Posted by Chris Kimpton <ki...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

[snip]

Thanks for the points - I will look into it some more.

> Is this something you plan on committing for the release?

Assume not at the moment - I need to spend more time understanding
what is currently happening ;-)

Chris

=====

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
> I want to have a default profile for logged in users, the same as
> what has been mentioned previously, such that if a user is logged in,
> but has no profile (psml), then the "logged in" default is used -
> rather than the anon version.

I think it used to work that way.
There was simply a default.psml in the root user directory.

I don't like having 2 algorithms (as you discuss below), one for the File
service, and another for the DBPSML.
I would suggest not modifying the PSML services, and trying to get it to
work from the Profiler.
Another approach would be to search through all the roles for that user
after failing to find any psml for that user, but then you have to consider
the search order (i.e. which roles are searched first)

Is this something you plan on committing for the release?

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>