Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net> on 2010/06/10 19:02:51 UTC

[Studio] Improvement proposal for Studio's Maven build

Hi Dev,

I've been working on some improvements to Studio's Maven build these last days in this branch [1].

I tried to improve the way we generate distributions to reduce the amount of tasks (and time) still done by hand when releasing a new version of Studio.
I'm tired of wasting almost a full day when a new version needs to be released...

Basically, I tried to integrate in the build (with 'release' profile enabled) the generation of the Windows Installer Exe, the Mac OS X DMG, as well as the generation of a folder containing all our distributions (linux-x86 and linux-x86_64 tar.gz archives, Mac OS X DMG, Windows Installer Exe) and update site (as an archive to be deployed to the downloads area, and as a folder for the 'online' update site), all these being signed (ASC, MD5 and SHA1) automatically.

The complete build with 'release' profile enabled takes a little more time (around 8-9 minutes), but in the end, we get a folder, which is ready to be uploaded on people.apache.org for deployment.

A few facts on this new build:
- There is now a separated Maven module (packaged as a pom) for each "distribution" build (eg: Mac OS X), which generates a zip file stored into the local repo and accessible as a dependency to other modules.
- Same thing for:
   - Apache Directory Studio features
   - Apache Directory Studio plugins
   - Apache Directory Studio Eclipse dependencies
- The 'updatesite' module now generates two zip files (one which can be used to install Studio in Eclipse, and another which is meant to be used on people.apache.org.
- The new build takes a few more seconds than the current one on daily basic tasks but not that much considering the added benefit.
   (On my machine, a complete build takes 3:12 min with the current build and 3:32 with the new one. A 'fastbuild' takes 1:59 min with the current build and 1:59 with the new one).
  BTW, in order to gain a few "precious" seconds, I'd also recommend that we exclude the "features" modules from the 'fastbuild' profile.

I'd like to know what you think about it, if you could test it, and if we can considering switching to this new build on trunk.

Thanks,
Pierre-Arnaud

[1] - https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/studio/branches/studio-improved-build/

Re: [Studio] Improvement proposal for Studio's Maven build

Posted by Felix Knecht <fe...@apache.org>.

Re: [Studio] Improvement proposal for Studio's Maven build

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Ooops...

Sorry Felix.

A wrong dependency was set (I probably had this dependency in maven repository before, because when I dropped the repo, the error appeared).

You should be able to pass this step, now.

FYI, using '-Prelease' on a non Mac OS X machine fails at the moment, because the build of the module 'Mac OS X DMG' is dependent on a command line utility that only exists on Mac.
I need to find a way to make this pass on any platform. Probably by creating a "fake" package on un-supported systems.

It will the same thing with the 'Windows Installer Exe' module, if you don't have the 'makensis' command-line utility installed.
I will try to find and give you the link to a webpage which describes the way to compile and install this utility.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

Posted by Felix Knecht <fe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Felix Knecht <fe...@apache.org>.

Re: [Studio] Improvement proposal for Studio's Maven build

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Done.

I removed the 'application-unpack' module and excluded the help plugins and features modules from the 'normal' build.
They are now available as a 'studio-full' profile.

On my machine, the difference is very interesting: 3 min 10 sec using the 'studio-full' profile against 1 min 51 sec with a normal build.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Stefan,

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
> [...]

+1

Is it possible to make the "fastbuild" the default?

Today, I import all plugins and features into eclipse but close the help
plugin and feature projects afterwards.

If by default build would only contain the the real plugin it would be
faster. As a side effect a studio:eclipse only creates eclipse files for
the plugins but not for the features and help modules, then the eclipse
import wizard only imports the real projects and we avoid that eclipse
shows build errors.

Additionally we would need a profile "full" that builds the features and
help plugins.

> I'd like to know what you think about it, if you could test it, and if we can considering switching to this new build on trunk.

I think it looks very good. And I trust your opinion, you did all the

Stefan