Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Vasiliy Gagin <va...@yahoo.com> on 2003/02/21 19:20:18 UTC

Cerntral repository again

(Sorry for long posting)
I'm new to maven, and I like what I see.
In fact I've been strugling to setup project management process in our bank for almost a year.
Maven will really help, but ...
I tryed to put 2 projects in maven for now, one depends on other.
I created remote repository on one of our unix servers.
And I assume that each developer needs to have his own local copy of maven.
Here is problems and concerns (if you think that I'm duing something wrong, please let me know):

1. We are behind firewall, so where to put "maven.proxy.host" and "maven.proxy.port"?
I would really like to put it to "driver.properties" which is currently jarred into maven.jar.
That way when maven distributive could be painlessly customized for our bank.
Bottom line: it would be convinient to have driver.properties out of maven.jar or to have
additional file between driver.properties and project.properties. (Right now I put it into
build.properties in my home directory, and that is wrong place for it).

2. I created directory for remote repository on out unix solaris server, set up
"maven.repo.central" and "maven.repo.central.directory". Short fight with SSH, and new problem -
scp does not work, becouse we don't have scp1 on unix box. Switched to rsync. Created wrapper
shell script around rsync to pass additional parameters, like -s ssh ... I think more strait
forward way to specify extra parameters would be to add new property "maven.scp.executable.args"
(I guess it is one extra line in plugins\maven-deploy-plugin-1.1\plugin.jelly).

3. So now I can deploy jars from 1st project to central repository. Question is how can I
"dowload" them for use in 2nd project? I do not have http server there. I would really like to use
same rsync tool as I used for upload. Is there any way to set up remote repository without http
server?
I guess for now I can put repository onto public drive, but every body can write there :-(

I'm very interested in solving above problems, so let me know if I can help.

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

Re: Cerntral repository again

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 13:20, Vasiliy Gagin wrote:
> (Sorry for long posting)
> I'm new to maven, and I like what I see.
> In fact I've been strugling to setup project management process in our bank for almost a year.
> Maven will really help, but ...
> I tryed to put 2 projects in maven for now, one depends on other.
> I created remote repository on one of our unix servers.
> And I assume that each developer needs to have his own local copy of maven.
> Here is problems and concerns (if you think that I'm duing something wrong, please let me know):
>
> 1. We are behind firewall, so where to put "maven.proxy.host" and "maven.proxy.port"?
> I would really like to put it to "driver.properties" which is currently jarred into maven.jar.
> That way when maven distributive could be painlessly customized for our bank.
> Bottom line: it would be convinient to have driver.properties out of maven.jar or to have
> additional file between driver.properties and project.properties. (Right now I put it into
> build.properties in my home directory, and that is wrong place for it).

The driver.properties file will never again be made available. It's not
for public consumption.

So you want to make a specialized maven distribution for your setup at
work, yes? And you would like to have a customized set of properties
available by default, yes?

Do you want to share a single copy of Maven over a network drive or do
you actually want to distribute copies of your modified Maven to each
developer? Either is fine and can be made to work. I see what you are
looking for and shouldn't be a problem. None of the patches for shared
use have been any good but if you send me some more details in private
you can be a guinea pig if you like :-)

> 2. I created directory for remote repository on out unix solaris server, set up
> "maven.repo.central" and "maven.repo.central.directory". Short fight with SSH, and new problem -
> scp does not work, becouse we don't have scp1 on unix box. Switched to rsync. Created wrapper
> shell script around rsync to pass additional parameters, like -s ssh ... I think more strait
> forward way to specify extra parameters would be to add new property "maven.scp.executable.args"
> (I guess it is one extra line in plugins\maven-deploy-plugin-1.1\plugin.jelly).

The maven.repo.central and maven.repo.central.directory are also not for
public consumption. They work with the deploy targets that are also not
generally for public consumption. There is a tag library for deployment
which I will document as no one has found it and everyone keeps trying
to modify the goal that we use internally for deploying to ibiblio.
There is a <deploy:artifact/> which can be used to do whatever you wish.
Again if you send me details we can get this working.

> 3. So now I can deploy jars from 1st project to central repository. Question is how can I
> "dowload" them for use in 2nd project? I do not have http server there. I would really like to use
> same rsync tool as I used for upload. Is there any way to set up remote repository without http
> server?
> I guess for now I can put repository onto public drive, but every body can write there :-(

You could put it in a read-only space. I don't think any of your above
mentioned use cases would be hard to implement. If you want to test it
_and_ document it I would be willing to help you otherwise you'll have
to wait until we get around to it.

> I'm very interested in solving above problems, so let me know if I can help.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org