Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Tommy Svensson <to...@natusoft.se> on 2010/02/07 17:35:38 UTC

[ANN] odt2apt maven plugin

Hello,

I recently used the maven site plugin for the first time, and really liked it. I however came to dislike the APT format rather quickly. I spent far too much time manually reformatting my paragraphs to make the source readable. I felt that it would be very nice to be able to document in Open Office and still be able to generate a site and a PDF with maven-pdf-plugin, so I took a look at the ODT format and it turned out to be rather simple and easy. So I wrote a maven plugin I called maven-odt2apt-plugin. It currently supports everything in APT with the exception of tables. It requires an APT.ott template file defining the APT styles which must be used in the open office document. Links and images are also supported. When you work in Open Office you get something that is not 100% identical, but very similar to the end result.

If you define the plugin to run in the "pre-site" phase and put your odt documents in src/site/odt and then do "mvn site" it will go all the way from your odt document to a site.

The plugin is released as open source under that Apache 2.0 license, and can be found on sourceforge: http://odt2apt.sf.net/.

I inform about this since at least I find it hard to find and know about all free software out there, and I believe that I'm not alone in disliking working directly with APT. I though that there might be others out there that might be interested in this plugin, and this is the right place to inform about it.

Best Regards,
Tommy Svensson

Re: [ANN] odt2apt maven plugin

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.
I never done any doxia dev work, but would
http://maven.apache.org/doxia/developers/index.html#Create_a_New_Doxia_Module
help?

-D

Re: [ANN] odt2apt maven plugin

Posted by Tommy Svensson <to...@natusoft.se>.
Hmm. I apparently suck att digging upp information at a site since all links both you and Dan gave me comes from http://maven.apache.org/doxia/doxia/ where I've looked twice now! But this is a good start. I will look into it. And looking at the code for the APT module is probably a good idea. Thanks for the information.

Regards, Tommy

7 feb 2010 kl. 20.38 skrev Lukas Theussl:

> Well, reading the source doesn't hurt, you know... ;)
>
> A lot of documentation for doxia is in the javadocs, see eg the sink (in doxia-sink-api [1]) and the parser (in doxia-core, [2]). Basically, all you need to do is create a new doxia module [3] with just a parser (a sink would be nice too btw! :) ). For a parser you just need to implement one method:
>
> parse(Reader source, Sink sink)
>
> which takes an input document from a source and emits sink events into the sink. You might want to consult the examples of existing parsers for the standard doxia modules (apt, xdoc, fml) [4]. If you have any specific questions or problems, don't hesitate to ask on the doxia-dev list [5].
>
> HTH,
> -Lukas
>

> [1] http://maven.apache.org/doxia/doxia/doxia-sink-api/apidocs/org/apache/maven/doxia/sink/Sink.html
> [2] http://maven.apache.org/doxia/doxia/doxia-core/apidocs/org/apache/maven/doxia/parser/Parser.html
> [3] http://maven.apache.org/doxia/developers/index.html
> [4] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/doxia/doxia/trunk/doxia-modules/
> [5] http://maven.apache.org/doxia/mail-lists.html
>

> Tommy Svensson wrote:
>> I have no knowledge of maven internals. I did go to maven.apache.org/doxia, but cannot find any documentation on this internal doxia format or how to plugin to doxia in general. Where can I find information how this "sink" works, what I need to do to do what you suggest ? It would be relatively simple to make my code output something else than APT, or produce another model if thats what is needed. I did suspect from the beginning that there is a better way to do this by somehow plugging in to doxia, but I looked at the doxia site and googled on it too, but I didn't get any wiser then than I did now. This was just a short sidetrack from the main thing I was working on so I decided to do the simplest thing I could: Generate APT. But it would be nice to do it the better way if somebody could point me in the right direction for figuring out how. I'm starting to get a suspicion that the answer is going to be "read the source!" :-).
>> Regards, Tommy
>> 7 feb 2010 kl. 18.24 skrev Dan Tran:
>>> +1 to get doxia to support odt
>>>
>>> -D

___________________________

    Natusoft AB
    Tommy Svensson
    tommy@natusoft.se
    0703 55 50 19
___________________________

Re: [ANN] odt2apt maven plugin

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.

Re: [ANN] odt2apt maven plugin

Posted by Tommy Svensson <to...@natusoft.se>.
> [...]

>>> template file defining the APT styles which must be used in the open office
>>> document. Links and images are also supported. When you work in Open Office
>>> you get something that is not 100% identical, but very similar to the end
>>> result.
>>>
>>> If you define the plugin to run in the "pre-site" phase and put your odt
>>> documents in src/site/odt and then do "mvn site" it will go all the way from
>>> your odt document to a site.
>>> The plugin is released as open source under that Apache 2.0 license, and
>>> can be found on sourceforge: http://odt2apt.sf.net/.
>>>
>>> I inform about this since at least I find it hard to find and know about
>>> all free software out there, and I believe that I'm not alone in disliking
>>> working directly with APT. I though that there might be others out there
>>> that might be interested in this plugin, and this is the right place to

___________________________

    Natusoft AB
    Tommy Svensson
    tommy@natusoft.se