Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by ra...@freddiemac.com on 2004/10/14 20:07:41 UTC

validate an XML file according to schema

I have a lot of resources on how to write a schema file. But none of them
discuss or show sample code on how to actually write a parser that
validates my XML data file against the XML schema file.

Most places that I check for validation point to Xerces, and the support
for that seems to be fresh out of the oven. I wrote a validating parser,
but it doesn't really seem to work fully! (If anyone cares to see it, I
can send it to you.)

Is the schema validation work complete in Xerces? I just need the basic
data type support and attribute dependency support.

If you know of any sample validating parsers, can you please send me a
link?

Thanks,
-ramin

Re: validate an XML file according to schema

Posted by Steven Ihde <x-...@hamachi.dyndns.org>.
I think the Xerces schema validation is "fully baked".  Xerces
supports Sun's JAXP interface for schema validation, so you can do
this:

SAXParserFactory spf = SAXParserFactory.newInstance();
spf.setValidating(true);
spf.setNamespaceAware(true);
SAXParser p = spf.newSAXParser();
p.setProperty("http://java.sun.com/xml/jaxp/properties/schemaLanguage",
              "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema");

And then you're ready to go.  There's a Xerces-specific way to do it
too.  Also note that with Xerces, "full checking" of schema is off by
default, meaning that it does not perform some more complicated and
time-consuming checks.  Also take a look at the XMLGrammarBuilder
sample in the Xerces source (class xni.XMLGrammarBuilder) for more
ideas.

I assume this is what you were asking and not really "how to write a
parser".

-Steve