Posted to soap-dev@ws.apache.org by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com> on 2002/04/26 05:06:05 UTC

do an Apache SOAP 2.3 release ?

Hello,

Its been quite a while since we released v2.2 of Apache SOAP. Since then
about 50 bugs have been fixed and there are about another 50 remaining
in the queue (most of them are non-bugs or trivial but some a big).

I'm interested in doing a v2.3 to try to capture all the fixes that
have been done since 2.2 into a labeled version. Originally it was
intended that v2.2 would be the last as Axis was spsed to take over,
but Axis is now running more than an year late!! However, it looks
like Axis is finally getting nearer to 1.0 status and so putting out
Apache SOAP v2.3 would really allow us to say that's the final verdict
for this codebase.

I'm willing to serve as release manager and will write up a release
plan. The purpose of this note is to gauge interest on this effort.

Thanks!

Sanjiva.

Re: do an Apache SOAP 2.3 release ?

Posted by Mike Williams <mi...@mikesbox.com>.
On Thu, 2002-04-25 at 23:06, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Its been quite a while since we released v2.2 of Apache SOAP. Since then
> about 50 bugs have been fixed and there are about another 50 remaining
> in the queue (most of them are non-bugs or trivial but some a big).
>
> I'm interested in doing a v2.3 to try to capture all the fixes that
> have been done since 2.2 into a labeled version. Originally it was
> intended that v2.2 would be the last as Axis was spsed to take over,
> but Axis is now running more than an year late!! However, it looks
> like Axis is finally getting nearer to 1.0 status and so putting out
> Apache SOAP v2.3 would really allow us to say that's the final verdict
> for this codebase.
>
> I'm willing to serve as release manager and will write up a release
> plan. The purpose of this note is to gauge interest on this effort.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sanjiva.

Hi Sanjiva,

Definitely +1

Thanks,
Mike
--

---------------------------
May The Source Be With You!

Re: do an Apache SOAP 2.3 release ?

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
Check the section on Patches at http://jakarta.apache.org/site/source.html
Basically, you post a diff between the original and your mod to this list.

Scott

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
As a user, I would be grateful to have the post-2.2 fixes put out as an official
release.

Scott Nichol

Posted by Raghavan Srinivasan <ra...@iplanet.com>.
Hi Sanjiva ,
           This makes a lot of sense to me . For folks that have been
using / certifying their applications with  the 2.2 release(and have not
yet adopted Axis)  , handling bugs / features introduced in future
builds means having to go through cvs and figure out exactly which files
changed and patch them in .
e.g i am still trying to locate all the files changed  to support the
switching the Current Schema version to 2001 .
Simply changing Constants.java does not solve the problem completely .

This is ugly and when customers are involved , there is the greater risk
that if they make their own
 changes in the 2.2 install to support their own app specific changes  ,
they might overwrite the changes shipped out to them .

Having a 2.3 release will bring in all such changes  over the last year
into one version .

Thanks -
Raghavan

Posted by John Mani <jo...@sixthdimension.com>.
> Its been quite a while since we released v2.2 of Apache SOAP. Since then
> about 50 bugs have been fixed and there are about another 50 remaining
> in the queue (most of them are non-bugs or trivial but some a big).
>
> I'm interested in doing a v2.3 to try to capture all the fixes that
> have been done since 2.2 into a labeled version. Originally it was
> intended that v2.2 would be the last as Axis was spsed to take over,
> but Axis is now running more than an year late!! However, it looks
> like Axis is finally getting nearer to 1.0 status and so putting out
> Apache SOAP v2.3 would really allow us to say that's the final verdict
> for this codebase.

Yes.

thanx
-john