Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Jerry Jalenak <Je...@LABONE.com> on 2004/04/19 20:29:05 UTC

Binary Data

Hi All,

I'm needing to return binary data (.tif images) from an Axis webservice to
both Java clients and C# clients.  Is there a recommended best-practice for
doing this?  I found a hit in google on using the
javax.activation.DataHandler to the binary data to a SOAP message as an
attachment.  Is there an easier / better way to simply stream the binary
data back to the client?

Thanks!

Jerry Jalenak
Development Manager, Web Publishing
LabOne, Inc.
10101 Renner Blvd.
Lenexa, KS  66219
(913) 577-1496

jerry.jalenak@labone.com

This transmission (and any information attached to it) may be confidential and
is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for
delivering the transmission to the intended recipient, be advised that you
have received this transmission in error and that any use, dissemination,
forwarding, printing, or copying of this information is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify
LabOne at the following email address: securityincidentreporting@labone.com

Re: Binary Data

Posted by Tom Nelson <to...@raba.com>.
I can't profess to be a source of good advice, but I have done
some tests that are similar.

I've had some success at interoperability by declaring the return type
of the the service method as an 'Object' instead
of a 'DataHandler':

     Object getFile(String name) { return new DataHandler(new
FileDataSource(name)); }

You'll probably have to use DIME to talk to C#.

The actual message going back is just an application/dime (or
multipart/related) message
If the return type of the service is declared as an Object,
the generated wsdl only requires the client to
understand "anyType" in the wsdl file, and the client can do whatever it
it likes with the incoming application/dime message. If your C# client
can parse that type, you should be in business.

Hope this helps.

Tom Nelson
RABA Technologies