Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com> on 2021/08/03 07:36:26 UTC

[DISCUSS] How to use and publish Terraform Provider for CloudStack

All,

I found that Terraform registry requires repositories in a certain naming convention (terraform-provider-NAME) and requires Github access to org/repo which can't be supported easily to be able to publish artifacts to TF registry (https://registry.terraform.io/).

I forked and renamed the apache/cloudstack-terraform-provider repo under the "cloudstack" Github org which is also under the control of the ACS PMC:
https://github.com/cloudstack/terraform-provider-cloudstack

And tested by creating a testing v0.4.0-pre (unofficial) tag and publish it here:

https://registry.terraform.io/providers/cloudstack/cloudstack/latest

Due to the repo name and Github TF app integration requirements, the only automated workflow possible via a proxy repo:

We develop and publish releases on apache/cloudstack-terraform-provider repo -> then push git tags/releases to cloudstack/terraform-provider-cloudstack repo -> which gets pulled by the TF registry (link above).

Anybody who has access (many PMCs do) to https://github.com/cloudstack org will be able to manage the TF namespace https://registry.terraform.io/namespaces/cloudstack

Thoughts, objections to this approach?

May I also ask TF users to test https://registry.terraform.io/providers/cloudstack/cloudstack/latest and report issues/bugs on https://github.com/apache/cloudstack-terraform-provider/issues so our RM @Harikrishna Patnala<ma...@shapeblue.com> can work towards a release. Thanks.

Regards.