Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Arthur DiSegna <ad...@authentium.com> on 2005/12/28 17:21:53 UTC

[users@httpd] Make Apache Linux paths case insensitive?

Hello,

I am moving my IIS webserver to Apache on Suse and was wondering how to
make the web requests case insensitive?

For example.

On IIS the URL is http://vhost1.mydomain.com/directory1

Directory1 one on the file system could be directory1 or Directory1 or
DIRECTORY1 and the site is still accessible.

On Apache the URL is still http://vhost1.mydomain.com/directory1
however, it is only accessible if the person downloading types in the
directory1. If they type any other Directory1 or DIRECTORY1 they will
receive the "You don't have permission" error.

Do I have to alias every directory I have configured in the conf file?

How can I make the everything case insensitive.

Keep in mind there is some legacy software out there will capital
letters in the pathname to access the files I am serving up. Probably
why they were using IIS. I have inherited this problem. :)

Thanks

Re: [users@httpd] Make Apache Linux paths case insensitive?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 12/28/05, Arthur DiSegna <ad...@authentium.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am moving my IIS webserver to Apache on Suse and was wondering how to
> make the web requests case insensitive?
>
> For example.
>
> On IIS the URL is http://vhost1.mydomain.com/directory1
>
> Directory1 one on the file system could be directory1 or Directory1 or
> DIRECTORY1 and the site is still accessible.

If these are actual directories under the DocumentRoot (and not
Aliases), then mod_speling (sic) will do it for you.

Joshua.