Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Jacques Bergeron <ja...@dogico.com> on 2000/06/27 15:38:15 UTC

Question about CVS [EXPIRED TRIAL LICENCE]

Hi everyone,

Newbie question about CVS (I'm setting up CVS on my server to test the
server part of the build.xml file).

What I want to do is simulate a developper and committer jobs in the dev
process:

Fist the developper:

1- Installs a local environment (unsing build.xml of course!!!)
2- Code, compile, test some changes
3- Issue a cvs update on the modified file (to arrange eventual conflicts
with somebody that could have committed a change while he was "playing" with
the file).
4- Generate a diff with cvs diff command.
5- Sends the diff file to a committer.

If I understand the process correctly the developpers job is finished if the
change is accepted by the committer.

Next the commiter should:

6- Checkout a copy of the file from CVS.
7- Merge the diff file from the developper.
8- If everything is ok then cvs commit the change.

Again I hope that I'm getting it correctly.

I downloaded both WinCVS and jCVS as cvs client programs to test the
process. Both programs implement most (if not all) of the CVS commands. I
also read most of the CVS manual (from GNU) as referred to on Tigris
website.

My problem comes with step 7. There does not seems (or seams?) to be a CVS
command that execute a merge from a diff file. The cvs update command merge
from diffs from 2 CVS relaeses that have to come from the server (so I
understood).

On my *NIX box (Red Hat 6.2) there is program called "patch" which seems to
do the job (?). Problem is that "patch" is not a cvs command so is not
implemented in WinCVS or jCVS (or does not seem to be).

Does this mean that we have to work on *NIX to be a committer??? Do you know
any Java program that does the equivalent of "patch"???

BTW Jason I'm happy to see that you will implement the server part of the
build.xml file when it will be finished, tested and accepted by the group.
The question was coming soon so one thing cleared. Oh! and as you can see
from my previous notes, from the drafted build.xml file and from the
proposed usermanual the nightly build process is well under way!

Ciao

Jacques

RE: Question about CVS [EXPIRED TRIAL LICENCE]

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@m64.com>.

Indeed it comes with the command line version of CVS for windows.
Try
ftp://ftp.cvshome.org/pub/cvs-1.10/windows/cvs-1.10-win.zip

Cheers

Re: Question about CVS [EXPIRED TRIAL LICENCE]

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@bost.de>.

 JB> On my *NIX box (Red Hat 6.2) there is program called "patch"
 JB> which seems to do the job (?). Problem is that "patch" is not a
 JB> cvs command so is not implemented in WinCVS or jCVS (or does not
 JB> seem to be).

Yes, patch is the way to go. I'm not aware of a Java version of patch
but you should be able to find a native version of patch for Windows -
I even had one for OS/2 once. It's GNU software and has been ported to
Windows for sure.

Stefan

RE: Question about CVS [EXPIRED TRIAL LICENCE]

Posted by Jacques Bergeron <ja...@dogico.com>.
Oup!

Effectively got posted to the wrong list!

Excuse everyone!

Jacques

This is not the forum to discuss those issue and you may get moderated (if
such a thing occurs at Apache???) if you post soo of topic :P. The info you
are looking for can be found via http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/. It is a
gentle introduction to cvs (thou quite long).

Cheers,

Pete

Re: Question about CVS [EXPIRED TRIAL LICENCE]