Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Babu Sreekanth <ba...@yahoo.com> on 2010/02/14 00:00:06 UTC

Issue with create category : Raising Jira issue

Hello,

  I found an issue with create category. The screen shot is attached. The scenario is.
1. Through the setup application (ofbiz setup), created an organization
2. Added Facility, Product store etc. and came to the last section 'First product"
3. Created a product catalog , then tried to create a category. It throws the below exception.

A TRUNCATION ERROR WAS ENCOUNTERED TRYING TO SHRINK VARCHAR 'ABJ_CATALOG_PROMOTIONS' TO LENGTH 20.
CALLING SERVICE CREATEPRODUCTCATEGORY IN CREATEPRODUCTCATEGORYANDADDTOPRODCATALOG

The issue was on SVN trun, retrieved on 02/12/2010 (Yesterday).

Well the error seems to occur when it try to shrink to fit into the 20 char table name. In the setup UI, there is no place to give the name for catalog promotion table.

Do you think I should raise a Jira issue. I just created one related to ofbizsetup --> update contact .  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-3477 . I wanted to make sure I am following the practice to raise a bug. Do I need to discuss it in the group prior to create a JIRA ticket?

Thanks,
Babu.

Re: Issue with create category : Raising Jira issue

Posted by Bilgin Ibryam <bi...@gmail.com>.
Babu Sreekanth wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I found an issue with create category. The screen shot is attached.
> The scenario is.
> 1. Through the setup application (ofbiz setup), created an organization
> 2. Added Facility, Product store etc. and came to the last section
> 'First product"
> 3. Created a product catalog , then tried to create a category. It
> throws the below exception.
>
> A TRUNCATION ERROR WAS ENCOUNTERED TRYING TO SHRINK VARCHAR
> 'ABJ_CATALOG_PROMOTIONS' TO LENGTH 20.
> CALLING SERVICE CREATEPRODUCTCATEGORY IN
> CREATEPRODUCTCATEGORYANDADDTOPRODCATALOG
>
> The issue was on SVN trun, retrieved on 02/12/2010 (Yesterday).
>
> Well the error seems to occur when it try to shrink to fit into the 20
> char table name. In the setup UI, there is no place to give the name
> for catalog promotion table.
>
> Do you think I should raise a Jira issue. I just created one related
> to ofbizsetup --> update contact .
>  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-3477 . I wanted to make
> sure I am following the practice to raise a bug. Do I need to discuss
> it in the group prior to create a JIRA ticket?
>
> Thanks,
> Babu.

Hi Babu,

createProductCategoryAndAddToProdCatalog  event appends the word
"__PROMOTIONS" to catalog id in order to create the promotion category
Id. In my opinion this should be changed to a shorter string.
Feel free to create a jira issue. In the mean time, you can continue
testing by using a shorter catalog Id

Bilgin