Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Matt England <me...@mengland.net> on 2005/09/07 17:50:26 UTC

Alternatives to SvnRev?

I'm looking for a way to automatically reflect the source-code version of
an application at run time.

I see the SvnRev utility:

http://www.codeproject.com/tools/svnrev.asp
http://www.compuphase.com/svnrev.htm

Do any alternative mechanisms/methods/utilities exist?  I'm just performing
a completeness check, I have found no problems with SvnRev at this time.

-Matt

Re: Alternatives to SvnRev?

Posted by Gregory Piñero <gr...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I got a chance to document and put up my script that does this:
http://www.blendedtechnologies.com/get-subversion-revision-information-into-your-source-code-files/37

Here is an online version of the source code to peruse. (Very simple script)
http://www.blendedtechnologies.com/wp-content/insert_revision_info_01.html

Let me know if you have questions.

-Greg

--
Gregory Piñero
Chief Innovation Officer

Re: Alternatives to SvnRev?

Posted by Gregory Piñero <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Alternatives to SvnRev?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 7, 2005, at 19:50, Matt England wrote:

> I'm looking for a way to automatically reflect the source-code
> version of an application at run time.
>
> I see the SvnRev utility:
>
> http://www.codeproject.com/tools/svnrev.asp
> http://www.compuphase.com/svnrev.htm
>
> Do any alternative mechanisms/methods/utilities exist?  I'm just
> performing a completeness check, I have found no problems with
> SvnRev at this time.

Not sure I understand the purpose of SvnRev... seems like this FAQ
entry is perfectly sufficient:

http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#version-value-in-source