Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Craig A. Vanderborgh" <cr...@voxware.com> on 2005/03/11 17:11:22 UTC

Help Needed w/Subversions Weird Repository Layout

Hello,

I'm a Subversion newbie confused by Subversion's weird repository
layout.  In particular, I am unsure how to structure the directory
hierarchy for my repositories.

My problem is simple - we have several large-ish directory trees, for
example a linux kernel tree called "linux-2.6.10".  Other trees need to
reside beside this one in the directory hierarchy.

Given that Subversion requires its own directory hierarchy, i.e.
"trunk,..." where should my "linux-2.6.10" directory, the base of my
tree, actually go??  Is it supposed to be in "trunk"??

I have read the documentation on this and I find it unclear, to say the
very least.  The book simply does not describe this in a clear enough
way to be meaningful.  Please help me out, because I think this is my
last problem.  I have been able to get everything else working.

Thanks in advance,
craig vanderborgh
voxware incorporated

Re: Help Needed w/Subversions Weird Repository Layout

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Mar 11, 2005, at 11:11 AM, Craig A. Vanderborgh wrote:

> Given that Subversion requires its own directory hierarchy,

Subversion has absolutely no requirements for directory hierarchy.  You
can organize things however you want.

> i.e. "trunk,..." where should my "linux-2.6.10" directory, the base of
> my tree, actually go??  Is it supposed to be in "trunk"??

Do you know what 'trunk' means?  Have you read chapter 4?  It
recommends 'trunk', 'branches' and 'tags' as a *convention* for
branching and tagging, and nothing more.

> I have read the documentation on this and I find it unclear, to say
> the very least.  The book simply does not describe this in a clear
> enough way to be meaningful

That's an awfully vague criticism.  Can you be more specific?  I don't
even understand what problem you're trying to solve here.

Re: Help Needed w/Subversions Weird Repository Layout

Posted by Jerry Haltom <wa...@larvalstage.net>.
There are two popular directory layouts:

/trunk
/branches
/tags

or

projectname/trunk
projectname/branches
projectname/tags

In either case, the root of the project IS trunk/. To checkout one would
do

svn co url://blah/project/trunk project

At least, that's how I do it. I have never thought about where to put
vendor code or something.

Posted by Gary Thomas <ga...@mlbassoc.com>.
On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 12:11 -0500, Craig A. Vanderborgh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a Subversion newbie confused by Subversion's weird repository
> layout.  In particular, I am unsure how to structure the directory
> hierarchy for my repositories.
>
> My problem is simple - we have several large-ish directory trees, for
> example a linux kernel tree called "linux-2.6.10".  Other trees need to
> reside beside this one in the directory hierarchy.
>
> Given that Subversion requires its own directory hierarchy, i.e.
> "trunk,..." where should my "linux-2.6.10" directory, the base of my
> tree, actually go??  Is it supposed to be in "trunk"??
>
> I have read the documentation on this and I find it unclear, to say the
> very least.  The book simply does not describe this in a clear enough
> way to be meaningful.  Please help me out, because I think this is my
> last problem.  I have been able to get everything else working.

Most likely something like this:

  SVN
     /trunk
           /linux-2.6.10
           /your_application
           /anything_else
     /branches
              /new_whizbang_branch
                                  /linux-2.6.10
                                  /your_application
                                  /anything_else
              /customer_release_0.99_branch
                                           /linux-2.6.10
                                           /your_application
                                           /anything_else
     /tags
          /official_beta
                        /linux-2.6.10
                        /your_application
                        /anything_else

You would check out SVN/trunk to get the trunk "set".  If you wanted
to work with a particular branch, then you'd check out branches/XYZ

Get the idea?

Re: Help Needed w/Subversions Weird Repository Layout

Posted by David Waite <dw...@gmail.com>.
Actually subversion does not place any requirements on directory
heirarchy. project/trunk project/branches project/tags is just a
recommendation.
For example, I usually do global /trunk , /branches , and /releases
with HEAD of all projects under trunk, because my projects are usually
interdependant modules I want to branch all at once.

There are no special meanings to any locations - subversion is a big
filesystem that keeps track of all previous states (file structure and
file contents). So don't put too much time into deciding how to start
- you can move things around later.

-David Waite