Posted to dev@impala.apache.org by Jim Apple <jb...@apache.org> on 2021/08/08 21:13:49 UTC

Fwd: Impala Board Report due by Wed Aug 11st - Initial Reminder

Here is the report I filed with the board:

The mission of Apache Impala is the creation and maintenance of software
related to a high-performance distributed SQL engine

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention

## Membership Data:
Apache Impala was founded 2017-11-14 (4 years ago)
There are currently 59 committers and 34 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 8:5.

Community changes, past quarter:
- Vihang Karajgaonkar was added to the PMC on 2021-06-03
- Qifan Chen was added as committer on 2021-06-25
- Tamás Máté was added as committer on 2021-06-11
- Wenzhe Zhou was added as committer on 2021-07-09

## Project Activity:

Impala 4.0.0 was released on 2021-07-12.

CVE-2021-28131 was filed, fixed, and announced.

The Impala community also accomplished:

 * Increased compatibility with other Apache projects, including
   Parquet, Hive, Iceberg, ORC, Ranger, Kudu, DataSketches
 * Improved support for z-order
 * Added functionality to impala-shell (a rarely touched part of the
   codebase)
 * Added support for JSON Web Tokens ("JWT")
 * Added more support for running Impala in containers
 * Fixed multiple DDL race conditions
 * Added multiple planner heuristic improvements to join cardinality
   estimates
 * Added multiple expansions to use of min/max filters
 * Added some support for Alibaba cloud
 * Made multiple fixes to ACID table support

## Community Health:

Perhaps the most stable indicator of Impala activity is reviews@,
which registers an email for each code review, each submit, and each
Jenkins job completion. This decreased this quarter to 2902 from 3153,
an 8% decline. Impala is still a thriving community.