Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Paul Christmann <pa...@priorartisans.com> on 2004/11/16 21:52:38 UTC

5.0.28 Service Shutdown problem on Windows

I just upgraded from 4.1.30 to 5.0.28 on two windows machines: one XP
and one W2K.  Both of them are having the same problem:

When I stop the installed Tomcat service, the destroy() method on my
servlets does not appear to get called.  I do not get my logging
information from my destroy methods, and file handles that should get
closed are left open.

The last message in my Tomcat stdout.log is:

INFO: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8081

When I run Tomcat standalone (using bin/startup and bin/shutdown), this
message is then followed by additional logging information and the
destroy() method of my service gets called.

When I run bin/shutdown, it returns before the full Tomcat shutdown is
completed.  In fact, to my untrained eye it appears to return shortly
after the "Pausing" log message.

So it appears that when running Tomcat as a service, the service is
getting halted when shutdown finishes - which has Paused the service.
But the remainder of the shutdown process is not invoked.

I've used the Windows installer, and made only four modifications to the
installed service:
+ I replaced tomcat-users.xml
+ I changed the unpackWARS from true to false
+ I installed my webapp
+ I changed the service to run under a specific user account

I've exhausted my google skills searching for answers, but to no avail.
I tried to search bugzilla but got SQL errors (is that a known problem?
  I followed the instructions on the error page and sent an email with
the error message to webmaster@apache.org, which seems too generic for
that type of error message).

--
PC