Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Om <bi...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/13 18:40:21 UTC

Git Migration Reset

In case you are not following the JIRA ticket, Infra has confirmed that
they have opened SVN back up for read/write.  Also, they will be starting
the move to Git this evening (GMT -5) again.

*So, everyone please check-in all your changes into SVN asap.  *Sometime
this evening, SVN will go read-only at which point the migration to Git
will start.

Here is David@Infra's note regarding this:

I'll start from scratch this evening. I'll make a list of svn trees and
> start down them one by one, though I'll likely get multiple done in a
> single sitting. Typically it takes 20 minutes to a few dedicated hours of
> time per svn tree > git migration.  I'll probably take asjs, external and
> falcon tonight. Then the PMC needs to audit, and we can make it RW when
> you are satisfied. If we find problems with a given migration, I've had it
> take substantially longer, or be a quick fix, it depends. That said, I
> can't give you a dedicated timeline for all of this - I am doing this as a
> volunteer, and am travelling extensively this week, so I'll try and take
> care of it as I have time available.

And if you have any questions and suggestions do so quickly so I can
clarify with David.  Please DO NOT post on the JIRA ticket.  I will be
online for the 12 hours (at least)  I plan to help shepherd this process
all the way to the end.

Thanks,
Om

Re: Git Migration Reset

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Thank you, Om! Confidence restored... somewhat ;-)

EdB

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 6:40 PM, Om <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In case you are not following the JIRA ticket, Infra has confirmed that
> they have opened SVN back up for read/write.  Also, they will be starting
> the move to Git this evening (GMT -5) again.
>
> *So, everyone please check-in all your changes into SVN asap.  *Sometime
> this evening, SVN will go read-only at which point the migration to Git
> will start.
>
> Here is David@Infra's note regarding this:
>
> I'll start from scratch this evening. I'll make a list of svn trees and
>> start down them one by one, though I'll likely get multiple done in a
>> single sitting. Typically it takes 20 minutes to a few dedicated hours of
>> time per svn tree > git migration.  I'll probably take asjs, external and
>> falcon tonight. Then the PMC needs to audit, and we can make it RW when
>> you are satisfied. If we find problems with a given migration, I've had it
>> take substantially longer, or be a quick fix, it depends. That said, I
>> can't give you a dedicated timeline for all of this - I am doing this as a
>> volunteer, and am travelling extensively this week, so I'll try and take
>> care of it as I have time available.
>

> And if you have any questions and suggestions do so quickly so I can
> clarify with David.  Please DO NOT post on the JIRA ticket.  I will be
> online for the 12 hours (at least)  I plan to help shepherd this process
> all the way to the end.
>
> Thanks,
> Om

Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Git Migration Reset

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
Update:

David Nalley commented on INFRA-5549:
> -------------------------------------
> I've had to restart the flex-sdk migration twice (problems that aren't
> flex issues), so I am a bit delayed. If all goes well I'll have a repo up
> for you to review later tonight.

Thanks,
Om

Re: Git Migration Reset

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
Update from David@Infra:

Re: Git Migration Reset

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Thank you Jose! I'll try your approach first, as it will preserve all
my commit messages etc. If that somehow doesn't work, I'll fall back
on patching or "plain old copying".

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Git Migration Reset

Posted by Jose Barragan <jo...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Erik,

Re: Git Migration Reset

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Git Migration Reset

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Git Migration Reset

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Git Migration Reset

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Git Migration Reset

Re: Git Migration Reset

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Sounds like a familiar workflow. I find I do that with svn far more often that I like! ;-)

AW: Git Migration Reset

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Git Migration Reset

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Git Migration Reset

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Git Migration Reset

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Re: Git Migration Reset

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM, Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:

> Om, I understand you're trying to help and I appreciate it. If I have
> somehow implied that you were somehow the one to "blaim", I'm sorry.
> All I'm saying is that it took me a day and a half to get everything
> from SVN to git and I don't have the time tonight to reverse the
> process in a way that will allow me to be accurate and on time

If you moved it from SVN to Git - why cant you just checkin your svn
changes?

> (and no
> amout of kittens would keep me from ranting if I switched back and
> INFRA had made SVN read-only again).

Which is why I am urging you to check everything into SVN asap.  The
internet is running out of kittens as we speak.

> EdB
>
> PS. "You're on your own" is not really constructive... The code I'm
> trying to save will be (I humbly think) important to the project and I
> think it's worth a bit of team effort to make sure it'll get where it
> needs going.

I meant you are on your own  in the sense that I (or anyone else) cannot
get into your computer to fix things for you.  Of course I appreciate the
work you are doing.  I wont be responding to your emails if I dint :-)

Thanks,
Om

Re: Git Migration Reset

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Om, I understand you're trying to help and I appreciate it. If I have
somehow implied that you were somehow the one to "blaim", I'm sorry.
All I'm saying is that it took me a day and a half to get everything
from SVN to git and I don't have the time tonight to reverse the
process in a way that will allow me to be accurate and on time (and no

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Git Migration Reset

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Git Migration Reset

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Git Migration Reset

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Git Migration Reset

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Carlos,

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Git Migration Reset

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi,

2013/3/13 Om <bi...@gmail.com>

> In case you are not following the JIRA ticket, Infra has confirmed that
> they have opened SVN back up for read/write.  Also, they will be starting
> the move to Git this evening (GMT -5) again.
>
> *So, everyone please check-in all your changes into SVN asap.  *Sometime
> this evening, SVN will go read-only at which point the migration to Git
> will start.
>
> Here is David@Infra's note regarding this:
>
> I'll start from scratch this evening. I'll make a list of svn trees and
> > start down them one by one, though I'll likely get multiple done in a
> > single sitting. Typically it takes 20 minutes to a few dedicated hours of
> > time per svn tree > git migration.  I'll probably take asjs, external and
> > falcon tonight. Then the PMC needs to audit, and we can make it RW when
> > you are satisfied. If we find problems with a given migration, I've had
> it
> > take substantially longer, or be a quick fix, it depends. That said, I
> > can't give you a dedicated timeline for all of this - I am doing this as
> > volunteer, and am travelling extensively this week, so I'll try and take
> > care of it as I have time available.
>

> And if you have any questions and suggestions do so quickly so I can
> clarify with David.  Please DO NOT post on the JIRA ticket.  I will be
> online for the 12 hours (at least)  I plan to help shepherd this process
> all the way to the end.
>
> Thanks,
> Om

Carlos Rovira