Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com> on 2003/07/24 18:26:09 UTC

Policies and Procedures Refresher (was: RE: Context Entries)

> From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@apache.org]
>
> I was totally unaware of the "benevolent dictator"
> thing - it certainly wasn't included in the wording of neither
> motion nor adopted procedures.

Greg Stein:

    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=104285006706268&w=2
    There is no fallback. The PMC Chair is an officer of the
corporation. The
    PMC is a group of people to assist in the work of the ASF, nominally
under
    the direction of the Chair. If the PMC (and more precisely, the
Chair)
    makes a decision, then it is DONE. The Chair has full authority to
act on
    behalf of the ASF within the guidelines that the Board has provided
    that person.

    If the Chair does something, then it sticks. There are only two ways
    "out": one is if it can be shown they are not acting within the
capacity
    the Board outlined for that officer. For example, the Chair goes and
    deletes the jakarta-commons archive. That is out of scope. Deleting
the
    avalon archive? In scope. Bad, but in scope.

This is from the thread where we (and that includes you) discussed the
Policies and Procedures document.

The fact that the chair is a benevolent dictator has since been posted
numerous times on the PMC list.

To clarify and summarize: The Chair can do as it pleases.

Regarding the rest of your email, we'll take that at a later time.

/LS