Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jason Kraftcheck <kr...@cae.wisc.edu> on 2009/03/31 19:54:25 UTC

strange behavior, history lost

A user just checked in a change set that resulted in the following:
  A file was removed
  An identical file was added
  An automated email message included the following:
Property changes on: MOAB/trunk/tools/dagmc/Makefile.am
Name: svn:mergeinfo
   +

I now cannot access the history of the file before that version.  For example:

svn copy --revision 2785 \
  https://svn.mcs.anl.gov/repos/ITAPS/MOAB/trunk/tools/dagmc/Makefile.am .
svn: Unable to find repository location for
'https://svn.mcs.anl.gov/repos/ITAPS/MOAB/trunk/tools/dagmc/Makefile.am' in
revision 2785

The user claims they did nothing out of the ordinary.  What happened?  How
can I restore the history for the file?

thanks,

- jason kraftcheck

Re: strange behavior, history lost

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, Jason Kraftcheck!

JK> A user just checked in a change set that resulted in the following:
JK>   A file was removed
JK>   An identical file was added
JK>   An automated email message included the following:
JK> Property changes on: MOAB/trunk/tools/dagmc/Makefile.am
JK> ___________________________________________________________________
JK> Name: svn:mergeinfo
JK>    +

JK> I now cannot access the history of the file before that version.  For example:

JK> svn copy --revision 2785 \
JK>   https://svn.mcs.anl.gov/repos/ITAPS/MOAB/trunk/tools/dagmc/Makefile.am .
JK> svn: Unable to find repository location for
JK> 'https://svn.mcs.anl.gov/repos/ITAPS/MOAB/trunk/tools/dagmc/Makefile.am' in
JK> revision 2785

JK> The user claims they did nothing out of the ordinary.  What happened?  How
JK> can I restore the history for the file?

I'm pretty sure it is possible. Most notable, i'm receiving the same error
messages as you, but I still can access old file by other commands.
It apperas you are using wrong format to the command.
Have you tried
svn up --force -r2785 Makefile.am
from your working copy?
What svn log telling you about changes made to that file?

Try
svn del Makefile.am
svn copy https://svn.mcs.anl.gov/repos/ITAPS/MOAB/trunk/tools/dagmc/Makefile.am@2785 .

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: strange behavior, history lost

Posted by Tyler Roscoe <ty...@cryptio.net>.
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 03:57:03PM -0500, Jason Kraftcheck wrote:
> I was able to recover the file history by first removing the "new" version
> and then doing an "svn copy" between to different local copies, one checked
> out with "-r 1763".   I couldn't figure out a more direct method.

Doing a reverse merge ought to resurrect the file correctly:

svn merge -rHEAD:1763 /path/to/file

The way you've done it clobbers the history of that file (as you already
discovered). Glad you got it working though.

tyler

Re: strange behavior, history lost

Posted by Jason Kraftcheck <kr...@cae.wisc.edu>.
Tyler Roscoe wrote:

> Well something doesn't add up here. The fact that svn:mergeinfo was
> tweaked suggests that some sort of merge operation was included in this
> commit.
>
> I would ask the user to walk me through exactly what she did, and to
> think about any "old" operations she might have performed on her
> subversion working copy since her last commit.

Nothing useful there.  As I've managed to recover the file history, I guess
it really isn't worth worrying about.  If it wasn't anything obvious,
hopefully it is unlikely to happen again.

> What client was she using?

svn version 1.5.1

Posted by Tyler Roscoe <ty...@cryptio.net>.
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 03:35:31PM -0500, Jason Kraftcheck wrote:
> Tyler Roscoe wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 02:54:25PM -0500, Jason Kraftcheck wrote:
> >> A user just checked in a change set that resulted in the following:
> >>   A file was removed
> >>   An identical file was added
> >>   An automated email message included the following:
> >> Property changes on: MOAB/trunk/tools/dagmc/Makefile.am
> >> ___________________________________________________________________
> >> Name: svn:mergeinfo
> >>    +
> >>
> >> I now cannot access the history of the file before that version.  For example:
> >>
> >> svn copy --revision 2785 \
> >>   https://svn.mcs.anl.gov/repos/ITAPS/MOAB/trunk/tools/dagmc/Makefile.am .
> >> svn: Unable to find repository location for
> >> 'https://svn.mcs.anl.gov/repos/ITAPS/MOAB/trunk/tools/dagmc/Makefile.am' in
> >> revision 2785
> >
> > My guess:
> >
> > The Makefile.am that existed in revision 2785 is not the same as the new
> > file named Makefile.am. They have the same name, but Subversion is smart
> > enough to know that they are in fact different files with different
> > ancestry.
>
> The files were identical?

Irrelevant. They have different histories, so they are different
entities.

To see what I mean, you could try something like this in a sandbox:

touch a
svn add a
svn commit -m "a: version 1"
svn rm a
svn commit -m "removing a: version 1"

echo "i am a version 2!" > a
svn add a
svn commit -m "a: version 2"

And then look at the results of "svn log a".

Posted by Jason Kraftcheck <kr...@cae.wisc.edu>.
Tyler Roscoe wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 02:54:25PM -0500, Jason Kraftcheck wrote:
>> A user just checked in a change set that resulted in the following:
>>   A file was removed
>>   An identical file was added
>>   An automated email message included the following:
>> Property changes on: MOAB/trunk/tools/dagmc/Makefile.am
>> Name: svn:mergeinfo
>>    +
>>
>> I now cannot access the history of the file before that version.  For example:
>>
>> svn copy --revision 2785 \
>>   https://svn.mcs.anl.gov/repos/ITAPS/MOAB/trunk/tools/dagmc/Makefile.am .
>> svn: Unable to find repository location for
>> 'https://svn.mcs.anl.gov/repos/ITAPS/MOAB/trunk/tools/dagmc/Makefile.am' in
>> revision 2785
>
> My guess:
>
> The Makefile.am that existed in revision 2785 is not the same as the new
> file named Makefile.am. They have the same name, but Subversion is smart
> enough to know that they are in fact different files with different
> ancestry.

The files were identical?

> Why did this part happen:
>
>>   A file was removed
>>   An identical file was added
>
> ? What was the user trying to do?

Nothing (with respect to the file in question).  Or at least that's what she
told me.

- jason

Re: strange behavior, history lost

Posted by Tyler Roscoe <ty...@cryptio.net>.