Posted to user@syncope.apache.org by Stephen Ingram <sb...@gmail.com> on 2020/07/20 05:04:42 UTC

Maven build instead of installer, Kerberos DB support

After going through getting the installer to work, I'm now reading that the
only way to get all of the extensions included is to apparently build
syncope with maven. Looking at the documentation, there seems like several
ways to go about this and they are quite different. If I'm looking to just
get a build with all of the extensions included, but not everything
pre-configured like the standalone version, should I just generate the
archetype, run the mvn clean install and then mvn deploy to tomcat?

Also, does syncope support a Kerberos connection to PostgreSQL for the DB?
I've used Kerberos in tomcat before for web app authentication, but not
quite sure if it's supported for the internal connection to the database.

Re: Maven build instead of installer, Kerberos DB support

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 20/07/20 07:04, Stephen Ingram wrote:
> After going through getting the installer to work, I'm now reading that the only way to get all of the extensions included is to apparently build syncope with maven.

Not necessarily, deb packages and Docker images are also built with all available extensions enabled.

> Looking at the documentation, there seems like several ways to go about this and they are quite different. If I'm looking to just get a build with all of the extensions included, but not everything pre-configured like the standalone version, should I just generate the archetype, run the mvn clean install and then mvn deploy to tomcat?

As you can read from

http://syncope.apache.org/docs/2.1/getting-started.html#embedded-mode

you will need to build the project as indicated, e.g. with 'all' profile selected: this will generate WAR artifacts with all extensions enabled.

Then you can run the project as further indicated; this will match exactly what you have with standalone distribution, including test data and in-memory persistence.

In case you want to deploy into an external Java EE container with persistence on a real DBMS, you will need to follow the indications in

http://syncope.apache.org/docs/2.1/reference-guide.html#customization

especially about the build command to use with Maven, that is not the same reported above.

> Also, does syncope support a Kerberos connection to PostgreSQL for the DB? I've used Kerberos in tomcat before for web app authentication, but not quite sure if it's supported for the internal connection to the database.

The connection from Syncope to the configured internal storage (which can be PostgreSQL) does not use Kerberos in any form

Moreover, Syncope relies on ConnId for provisioning connectors, and AFAICT there is no connector (yet?) for Kerberos.

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence