Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Narendra Verma <na...@impetus.co.in> on 2008/03/19 08:26:59 UTC

[users@httpd] How to know the status of backend server(worker) running in loadbalancing environment (With mod_proxy_loadbalancer)

Hi experts,

I setup my environment like this :

                                                           ----------------
tomcat1

Client            ------       apache        ------

                                                           ----------------
tomcat2

Here I setup backend servers in loadbalancing environment using with
mod_proxy_loadbalancer.

I want to know that which tomcat server is holding how much load currently?
(related to all about worker status)

Is there any utility or tool available to know about it in apache.

I am using Apache2.2.8 mod_proxy2.2.8 with tomcat5.5.

If any body can help me , suggestions are welcome.

Narendra

RE: [users@httpd] How to know the status of backend server(worker) running in loadbalancing environment (With mod_proxy_loadbalancer)

Posted by Narendra Verma <na...@impetus.co.in>.
Hi,

Thanks a lot for reply.
Ya this is very important info that make sense.
Here elected is one of the attribute that shows how many time worker has
elected. Is there any more attribute related to it that can give the info
that how many request or how many session are currently holed by any worker.

Thanks
Narendra

Posted by Serge Dubrouski <se...@gmail.com>.
<na...@impetus.co.in> wrote:
> Hi Serge Dubrouski
>
>  First of all thanks a lot for giving idea about it.
>  Can you please tell me more about that how load balancer-manager shows that
>  how many times this or that balancer member was elected and how many request
>  any worker is currently serving.

Configure balancer-manager as I showed in my previous letter. Then use
you browser to go to http://localhost/balancer-manager. You'll see a
web page with a list of configured balancer members and information on
how many time each member was elected and how much traffic was passed
to each member. Something like that:

LoadBalancer Status for balancer://test-lb
StickySession	Timeout	FailoverAttempts	Method
	0	1 	byrequests

Worker URL	Route	RouteRedir	Factor	Set	Status	Elected	To	From
http://member-1		 	1	0	Ok	951	616K	558K
http://member-2			1	0	Ok	951	660K	622K

>  Narendra

Serge Dubrouski.

Posted by Serge Dubrouski <se...@gmail.com>.
<na...@impetus.co.in> wrote:
> Thanks for replying,
>  I configured it earlier 'balancer-manager'
>  But it does not give complete info related what I want exactly.
>  Means I want currently which server (worker) has how much load?
>
>  Any suggestions are welcome.
>  Narendra

That depends on you definition of "load". load-balancer shows you how
many times this or that balancer member was elected, that gives you a
number of requests processed by each member. If you need to know CPU
load, or traffic load then you need to use other tools, perhaps SNMP
monitors.
--
Serge Dubrouski.

RE: [users@httpd] How to know the status of backend server(worker) running in loadbalancing environment (With mod_proxy_loadbalancer)

running in loadbalancing environment (With mod_proxy_loadbalancer)

----------------
> tomcat2
>

> Here I setup backend servers in loadbalancing environment using with
> mod_proxy_loadbalancer.
>
> I want to know that which tomcat server is holding how much load
currently?
> (related to all about worker status)

Actually that depends on how you configured your LoadBalancer, see
loadfactor parameter.

> Is there any utility or tool available to know about it in apache.

Apache has balancer-manager handler that can give you some limited
information about balancer memebers. You can configure it like that:
  <Location /balancer-manager>
    SetHandler balancer-manager
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from 127.0.0.1