Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Wilmer Tan <wi...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/07 02:47:40 UTC

Re: IIS Tomcat Connector ISAPI 1.2.27 cannot connect to running Tomcat 5.5 Instances

Hi Andre and Rainer,

thank you for your response. Here is the output of the netstat
command. I filereted them already to the tomcat processes returned.

TCP    0.0.0.0:8088           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
6224 [tomcat5.exe]
TCP    0.0.0.0:8109           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
6224 [tomcat5.exe]
TCP    0.0.0.0:8188           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
7136 [tomcat5.exe]
TCP    0.0.0.0:8209           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
7136 [tomcat5.exe]
TCP    0.0.0.0:8288           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
4280 [tomcat5.exe]
TCP    0.0.0.0:8309           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
4280 [tomcat5.exe]
TCP    0.0.0.0:8388           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
4232 [tomcat5.exe]
TCP    0.0.0.0:8409           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
4232 [tomcat5.exe]
TCP    127.0.0.1:8005         0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
6224 [tomcat5.exe]
TCP    127.0.0.1:8105         0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
7136 [tomcat5.exe]
TCP    127.0.0.1:8205         0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
4280 [tomcat5.exe]
TCP    127.0.0.1:8305         0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
4232 [tomcat5.exe]

I tried the command "telnet localhost 8309" the cmd window just
cleared (just a cursor) and nothing came up. no error message. Could
this be a problem with IIS? which crashed? It is just not connecting?

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Wilmer Tan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for looking into my problem. The server is running an
> antivirus and is in IPv4. I am not sure what you mean by user accounts
> running IIS and Tomcat. They are started as a Windows Service. No
> changes have been done on the system. Before the IIS Web Server crash
> (Feb 26, 2010), everything was working fine. After the crash the
> server was rebooted and this was when the issue started happening. We
> were also getting a permission denied (warning messages Event Viewer)
> when we tried to access the site. Event logs showed IIS still crashing
> (Error) and ISAPI dll not loading but in IIS, ISAPI filter is green.
>
> I have requested a system restore prior to the crash, looking back
> maybe I should have re-installed the IIS first instead but time was
> the essence and I really believed the system restore would work. The
> restore did not work although I do not see the error messages on the
> error log but I still see warning messages on Event logs for
> permission denied when we setup the Web Site to run on port 80 and
> 443. We had to change the Http and Https ports to remove it from the
> load balancing scheme in production.

I am not sure that I understand precisely everything you are mentioning
above, but the following (re-ordered to show each Tomcat with its ports
together), seems to indicate that everything is fine Tomcat-wise.

Tomcat #1 :
TCP    0.0.0.0:8088           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
6224 [tomcat5.exe]
TCP    0.0.0.0:8109           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
6224 [tomcat5.exe]
TCP    0.0.0.0:8188           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
TCP    127.0.0.1:8005         0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
6224 [tomcat5.exe]

Tomcat #2 :
TCP    0.0.0.0:8188           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
7136 [tomcat5.exe]
TCP    0.0.0.0:8209           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
7136 [tomcat5.exe]
TCP    127.0.0.1:8105         0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
7136 [tomcat5.exe]

Tomcat #3 :
TCP    0.0.0.0:8288           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
4280 [tomcat5.exe]
TCP    0.0.0.0:8309           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
4280 [tomcat5.exe]
TCP    127.0.0.1:8205         0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
4280 [tomcat5.exe]

Tomcat #4 :
TCP    0.0.0.0:8388           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
4232 [tomcat5.exe]
TCP    0.0.0.0:8409           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
4232 [tomcat5.exe]
TCP    127.0.0.1:8305         0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
4232 [tomcat5.exe]

So, each Tomcat listens on
- a shutdown connector (ports 8005,8105,8205,8305).
- a HTTP connector (ports 8088,8188,8288,8388)
- a AJP connector (ports 8109,8209,8309,8409)

You have checked that from a command window of the same host you can
access port 8309 (with a telnet client in this case).
 From an earlier post, you also say that if you access (from a browser)
the HTTP port of Tomcat directly, it works fine.

So for all intents and purposes, it looks as if the Tomcats themselves
are fine.

This leaves the IIS side of things (including isapi_redirect, the IIS
side of the AJP conector).
I am not quite sure about the "permission denied" and "ISAPI dll not
consider all this as suspect.

Maybe for a start, you could de-install the isapi connector, and
re-install it ? (save your config files, they look fine too).
Also, as Konstantin mentioned, replace "localhost" in your
workers.properties by "127.0.0.1", just to remove any ambiguity.
Also try to disable the virus guard and anything similar (Windows
firewall) that might interfere, just for a test.

Re: IIS Tomcat Connector ISAPI 1.2.27 cannot connect to running Tomcat 5.5 Instances

Posted by Wilmer Tan <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

[...]

There are other servers running in the environment but I really am
stuck. I am not sure what to do next. I cannot make changes to this
server as there are other with the same configuration working fine.
Should I go after the IIS portion as that was where the problem
originated? Any advice should the re-install of IIS still result in
the same issue?

Regards,

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Hi.

Wilmer Tan wrote:
> Hi Andre and Rainer,
>
> thank you for your response. Here is the output of the netstat
> command. I filereted them already to the tomcat processes returned.

OK. This :

> TCP    0.0.0.0:8309           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
> 4280 [tomcat5.exe]
..
and this :

> I tried the command "telnet localhost 8309" the cmd window just
> cleared (just a cursor) and nothing came up. no error message. Could
> this be a problem with IIS? which crashed? It is just not connecting?

Seems to show, precisely, that on the machine where you had this command
window opened :
- tomcat is listening on port 8309
- the localhost can connect to it's own port 8309
(if it could not, you would have seen error lessages with the telnet
command, and not the blank screen. The blank screen means that your
telnet client is connected to the port 8309.)

So, if IIS (with isapi_redirect) is running on that same host, it should
be able to connect to that port also.
However, the previous log error messages seemed to say that it cannot.

So now I am stuck also.

Anyone has another idea ?